1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Markbass amp toast after 3 songs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crankin, Apr 19, 2009.

1. crankin

crankin

Apr 8, 2009
    Galloway Ohio
    Newbie member here! I just purchased a new in the box Markbass SD800 and two new in the box Markbass 410 cabs. Was playing the rig for the first time at the opening day ceremonies of the new Columbus Clippers Huntington Ballpark, which is the AAA farm club of the Cleveland Indians here in Columbus Ohio. Very nice corporate gig!! Big stage and huge sound right on the parade route a block from the new stadium, lots of people!! Here is where the fun ended for me yesterday. Hooked up the new rig and did a sound check and everything was cool. Started the first set and during the third song the amp died. No power! Sound engineer came up and we hooked my guitar straight into a DB so I could finish the show. Took the amp to Guitar Center immediately after the show and upon inspection the fuse was found to be blown. Put in a new fuse and amp still would not power up. Several more attempts to get it fired up failed and then the manager asked me if I would like to exchange it for another Markbass SD800 and said I don't know right now! I left the toasted amp there and told them I would be back tomorrow to decide what to do! Don't know if I even want a Markbass rig anymore. Just paid almost $3,000.00 for the whole rig. Your thoughts and opinions please!!

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Exchange the head. All makers have defective samples, it is unavoidable.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Probably a dumb question, but your 410HR cabs are 8 ohms each, correct?

4. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    I've never had a Markbass, but they seem to be well loved and trusted on this forum, and they are Musician's Friend's number 1 seller. You got a lemon. It happens. I would exchange it for the same model. Good luck.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Take the new amp and be happy. My Markbass amp is about 1month shy of being 2 years old without the slightest problem. Stuff happens,but when it does, isn't it nice to know that they will hand you a new amp instead of having to wait for a repair?

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Take the new one if they're willing to replace it. May be a faulty amp. Were your cabs 8 ohms or 4 ohms? Two of the three MB 4x10s are available as either 8 or 4, and the SD800 doesn't appear to do 2 ohms, so if you were running it with two 4 ohm cabs, that could cause a problem.

7. crankin

crankin

Apr 8, 2009
    Galloway Ohio
    Two 8 ohm rear ported HR cabs. I know every manufacturer has lemons slip thru but this one really left a bad taste!!

8. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I've gigged a ton with my Markbass stuff and never ever had a problem. In fact, I did have what I thought was a problem with my cabinet. It seemed like it fritzed out. I phoned Guitar Center (where I bought it) and because of their 2 year "swap it out" warranty on Markbass stuff they were going to swap it out no questions asks.

Then I had a thought - checked it out and sure enough the problem wasn't the cabinet at all, it was the cable that I bought (non-Markbass) connecting the amp to the cabinet.

Markbass is really good reliable stuff. I've never had a problem and I couldn't be happier.

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Take the new one. This probably isn't common so I should imagine you'll have a fine time with the replacement.

10. Validate they are 8 ohms - just because it says so on the cab does not mean they are not mislabeled.

11. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    I Would try out the new head for 30 or 40 days and if it does'nt float your boat
    get a refund....

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Mine's getting old, and it bang it around more than I should probably, and it's still going 100%.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I've had my LMII on many many gigs in the past 2 years and it has been 100% reliable.

Amp failure will almost always occur within the first little while of use. You got a rare MB dud.

I'd definitely go back to GC and get the replacement. Extremely unlikely to happen again. Maybe play it in the store for some time just to be sure.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Question? How was power being supplied to the stage? Generators? If so, generators (especially sucky ones) can wreak havoc on electrical sound equipment!! Drop outs, spikes, etc! It could have taken a zap! I was on an outdoor gig once and power was being supplied by a GEN. and I had several dropouts during the show. Have had zero issues when plugged into standard outlets.

15. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I bought a Mark Bass SD800 from GC last year and had the same thing happen with TWO of them. Running into a single 4 ohm cabinet, the head just quit during a rehearsal. I returned it and the second one also quit after about 10 minutes.

That was enough for me.

16. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I just got an F1 that I like quite a bit. In fact, I was going to sell my trustworthy GK 700RBII since I got it. Hmmm, maybe a bad idea?

17. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    You have to give a company one lemon. If the second one fails, look elsewhere.

18. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    I dunno.... if it was me, I don't think I would've shelled out $1,200-ish on a head that isn't 2 ohm stable or biamp-able... but we all have our own tastes. That being said, I have a friend w/a MarkBass 2x12 combo that LOVES his rig. If you liked the sound you had before the meltdown, get another. They're not a company w/a bad track record for customer service afaik.

19. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    IMO, never good judgement to assume that ANY piece of complicated electrical or mechanical equipment is free of problems out of the box.

Personaly, I'll run the gear for a while in a non-critical enviornment before serious use whether it be cars, motorcycles, amps, chainsaws, computers, etc.

20. crankin

crankin

Apr 8, 2009
    Galloway Ohio
    I did play thru the rig for about a half an hour the day before the gig. But I was just tweaking knobs on the head and bass guitar checking out tonal possibilities. Not really jamming a tune! It seemed fine.