New Marketing Idea...for everyday players....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by neddyrow, Feb 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. neddyrow

neddyrow @SimmerinStew - Instagram Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    This is an idea I have been working on lately. With everyone having their own presence online and social media, why not use us average players promote their product. With Instagram and other filters on cameras, even ugly guys like me can look like something resembling a model.

I guess it raises the question: Do people prefer to take advice from pros or normal Joes?

Let me know what you think....good or bad. I can take it.

Everyday Upton Bass Players

Hello! This is me...and my Upton Standard Double Bass named, Buela Bay...

Div1iV6-nwj_-tNGK6N6MnDOwJF9_5JhR3WZ-xvLit90VhRI0XLyywYy6DjNz9jufXN1JmMVb3EIRwart-aJJDS10npR5YWZ.jpg

My name is Ted, AKA neddyrow on TalkBass and I play an Upton Standard Double Bass. I am making this post to show that you don’t have to be Christian McBride or Travis Book to play an Upton. Not just the pros play Upton Basses and they sound great in all “venues” not just the big stages and orchestra pits.

Some of these pics make me and my bass look a lot cooler than i really am. Being a semi-professional musician, I usually play in bars and coffeeshops like this…

ivhKEegYEYlOZpjmKRhxXjPqygdrrmY1potps42GSGj2tUaBXeahqKJCExoWTWqnhGt3jaUnd3gu5zIjeU0jBpIkMFVmHVgY.jpg

The other main reason for my post is to let people know that even the basic Upton Standard is well made and gig/stage ready. I had the guys at Upton install my favorite strings and pickup before I picked up my bass. This is me confident to bring my brand new bass to a gig the day I came home from picking it up in beautiful Mystic, Connecticut…

j3SXVmeDyzSwwj1mGXEu2DBGnDdHDD9Eor6yJ5BuxvCV23aLvrQHok6Wy2ol3bSQREa-YtDQk8XxWOteCIHTa9OuP91Wc1sH.jpg

I want people to know that for the price, the quality is unmatched! An American handmade instrument that is gig-ready is impossible to find. Plus they look beautiful…. 3MMUKU6T8ZJhT68NC2JALu8eYz7sgudZTcf3qq7v9zkqqf8NbQ-Qg57xdoIfyjk6I7hOgirECgDHqYSRprFEC7cxFJETdqAF.png

I play my Upton almost everyday and it has never failed me. Being a bluegrass slap player, I am pretty tough on this bass and it is as solid as the day I bought it! These basses sound great in any environment - studio, stage, indoors, outdoors, plugged in or acoustic, you’ll be surprised at the rich tone you get from a plywood bass. Here’s us outdoors with me plugged in….

K1HyRw8H4vzt_LvZz77X8hrXFR3Ywthfm6563cp0I20fekDTOcpwQut92TfXhbHIZUlcE29HdtBnfBKsufxwjT0jqM0C05FR.png

Here’s me outside busking on the commons at the Ithaca Fest…

eWmwnSxBKmfIqlS0wgQLRApHWO6JcMSkfQ6202zKkOMdhOoKST0OaukBKrqCGnuceHCERSM5Lo6nCvtQHeByJLdyrxMhYr0S.jpg

This bass has already been recorded on one album and soon to be two…

81BpIaILWx9369I1zp0nGURinPjbB-fJWENOGMeOD_MzXeQF4RhhE0xpXqwFwAQTIznkbqlXe-KGrXluVfEHe06vq6fl5WcB.jpg

This truly is the workingman’s bass. As a teacher, bartender and father of two whose love will always be playing the bass, there was only one choice for quality on a budget.

Whether you are a pro or “regular Joe” like me, there is an Upton Bass for you!

vOpl_YBi0MKiX7AyX2pGw9HI38Z72e62JqOsGmd-U9umPXBTigW63oAosiAJyIZ7jTSXMRo3xHGrrOM2lVSUGs-doJA854JX.png

and as BassCliff says, thanks for your indulgence!

JmJ and Jason Hollar like this.
  2. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Both.

Pros if I'm inquiring about technique, theory, etc. I'd much rather hear from an educator or the educated on that type of thing.

Joes if I want practical experience about the same type of gear and gigs that I play. I think that there is a big divide between the pros here, and us weekend warriors in terms of what we can expect in live situations. What is practical for the professional jazz players is not practical for my gigs.

What I would love to hear from everyone on is recording the instrument - pros, joes, studios, living rooms, bathrooms, whatever. I'm on my second round of recording with my Upton, and I'm finding it's as much of a mystery to capture it on a recording just as it is through a live rig. My initial experience was somewhat disappointing, but I just kind of let the studio do what they wanted.

Oh and my wife thinks I'm very handsome, bass or no bass. Most people just stare at the bass.

Josh Kneisel and neddyrow like this.
  3. neddyrow

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    I am happy with both live and studio sound. Took awhile to get it everything I like and dial it in good enough for live situations. As for studio, I am using protools in my basement studio and having good results with this...

image.jpeg

Shure SM 81 on the treble side and an AT 4033 on the bass side. Blended right, it sits well in the mix with very little eq.

What are you using?

John Chambliss likes this.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think people take input on bass brands where they find it, both from pros and joes. I think that what they eventually discover is that great players tend to sound great on just about any decent instrument, good players sound good, mediocre players sound mediocre, etc.

Moving this to miscellaneous and inviting players of all brands to weigh in on the thread topic both as it relates to their "brand" and to the broader question posed.

neddyrow likes this.
  5. neddyrow

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    agreed. thanks!

6. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    The first time I recorded with it in a studio, there were IMO too many inputs. I also hadn't recorded upright before, and it was not my album, so I just went with the flow. There were stereo condensers on either side, one of those kick drum style mics below, and a DI (straight from the pickup....big mistake). I had to ask to have the DI completely killed in my mix. I could literally hear every movement from the bass. If I breathed heavy, it came through....but I digress. Just thought it relevant to the conversation.

We are doing some home recording stuff now into a decent digital multitracker (to be mixed in a studio later). I don't pretend to know the ins/outs of the recording gear outside of microphones. Audacity is the only thing I've used myself, and that was just for home demos. We started experimenting by sticking a 57 on the treble side, and it sounded decent. I know that probably sounds sacrilegious to some people, but sometimes simple gets the job done. In the rough mixes I thought it sounded fine, with the exception of the E string. The E string notes are definitely not as present. Some of that could be the bass as well, but I suspect it's the mic'ing.

It's funny that you stick an AT on the bass side, because that was going to be my next suggestion when we get to business again. I have a 3035, and 2035.

For good measure a picture of me and my standard with instagram filters applied!
    IMG_20170121_173048_857.jpg

7. neddyrow

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    the balance of the 2 mics blended has been mostly the SM81 and less AT 4033... and it sounds great! last time we recorded, it was just the AT 4033 on the treble side. but the guy who taught me protools said to try it this way and i and happily surprised with the results.

let me know and i'll happily loan you my mics for your next project if you are interested.

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  8. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Thanks for the offer, but next time is tomorrow at about 11am!

9. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    See what you've started!

10. neddyrow

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    update:

so i e-mailed the post idea to eric at upton and in about 2 hours it was up on their site!!

they also posted it on an instagram add and some boosted facebook posts!

i don't have facebook but my wife has about 1300 friends and she shared out....i got to feel cool for a weekend!

bassfran and Seanto like this.
  11. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA

Jay,
    Put the large diaphragm condenser with the capsule at the same height and 8" -12" out from the bridge, slightly to the E side aimed back across the strings toward the sound post.
    If you need more string noise, artifacts, etc... place a SM57/58 or a SDC aimed diagonally into the space where the neck block is on the G side about 6" away, aimed slightly up toward your chest through the bass...
    oh yeah... no pick up!!!!!!

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  12. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Yeah you're pretty famous on Facebook right now dude. You're in a sponsored ad! I think it's safe to say that you've made it!

neddyrow likes this.
  13. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I lived and learned from the experience. The only part I worry about is how awful those DI tracks probably sound, as they are not indicative of what my playing sounds like.

Thank you for the insight. I continue to learn every time I record with it.

14. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    When I was tracking for the release my trio has coming in March we used a Large Diaphragm Condenser (BLUE Microphones Baby Bottle) placed about a foot and a half or so (14inch maybe?) from the strings pointed at the space between the A and D string below the bridge. Sounded like my bass does in a big quiet room which is what I wanted. Once I am able I will post links so y'all can take a listen.
    [​IMG]

neddyrow and sevenyearsdown like this.
  15. rickwolff

rickwolff The Accidental Impresario Supporting Member

Josh,

Definately looking forward to hearing those recordings!

NOW, if you tell us how to replicate that fabulous sound live, on stage (without Bleed or Feedback) you'll instantly become the most loved person on TB.

neddyrow likes this.
  16. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I wish...

17. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    My bandmates do tend to poke fun at me for breathing too loud while Im playing into a mic....

18. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Neddy, Congratulations!!

...but Crocs?!? ...you're wearing a vest man!

bassfran and neddyrow like this.
  19. neddyrow

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    you noticed!!!!

my next e-mail like this Upton Bass e-mail will be to crocs.....i do everything in crocs!

i have 6 pairs - each has a different use.

my students make fun of me all the time but i could care less - it's like walking on a cloud!

....and i am married with 2 kids....trash talk about crocs be [email protected]#d!!!

20. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Edit the crocs out. You're losing street cred!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022