1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Mars Volta disc on June 23: Octahedron

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dosed_Mind, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Dosed_Mind

Dosed_Mind

May 21, 2006
    Denmark
    From their website:
    The describe it themselves as being a more mellow and acoustic type of record, but who's to say what that means in their world ;). Judging from the first of impression of the singles i like what i'm hearing, check it out:

European single: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-MOKNhYvZc
    American single(live bootleg): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhN2AfMTZ60
    A bit more information: http://www.spin.com/articles/mars-volta-new-album-its-mellow

2. It can't possibly be worse than some of their other releases, so here's to hoping!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    June 23 is my birthday! I'd like to know how Mars Volta gets anything done with the degree that Omar micromanages every single little lick everyone else does.

4. Ohhh I wasn't aware they were coming out with one this year. This year is turning into a great album year :oops:

I'm curious what ridiculous backstory they have for this one?

5. I didn't like The bedlam in Goliath very much, so I was hoping for a return to more Frances the Mute type stuff, by the sound of the single it won't be, but it sounds better than TBIG anyway, so I'll be picking it up on release day.
    Besides, I need it for my Omar/Cedric Discography :p

Thats probably why they get so much done, he writes it all, the band just plays it. Apparantly John Frusciante plays most of the Guitar parts in studio.

6. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Hey, don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've been wanting to give mars volta a listen. Any suggestions as to what albums I should listen too?

7. Terry Funk

Terry Funk

Dec 8, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I'd start with their first release (as the Mars Volta), Deloused at the Comatorium, which features Flea on bass for every track. IMO, this is the best stuff they've ever done. Frances the Mute is also very good, well worth a listen. All the rest of their stuff ranges from great to damn near unlistenable. They are incredible live, though. If you like what you hear from them, also check out their previous band, At The Drive In.

8. I have heard that the Mars Volta actually have this album AND their NEXT album already recorded to be released at their discretion, is there any truth to this?

9. Dosed_Mind

Dosed_Mind

May 21, 2006
    Denmark
    I've read this as well, and i actually think its true, judging from Omars extremely high productivity. We are after all talking about a guy who has made about 17 albums(quick count on wikipedia) since 2004!
    I agree with what Terry said, and just remember to let the music grow on you - for some people it can take a while to get used to(myself included), but when you finally "get it" its awesome:bassist:

10. Soloshchenko

Soloshchenko

Feb 2, 2009
    I don't think they have done a good album proper since Deloused...

Heres hoping there are some songs on there and not 3 hours of effect noise.

11. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I'll be seeing them at Bonnaroo just prior to the release. It should be a great show and a chance to hear the new material live!

12. Deloused is actually my LEAST favorite, Bedlam is my favorite.

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I can't wait for this one! I actually didn't enjoy Bedlam in Goliath as much as I did Amputechture, but both are great in their own right.

14. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    From an engineering standpoint, Deloused differs from the rest. It sounds really warm and creamy to my ears. It was produced by Rick Rubin, FWIW.

JMJ played double bass on Televators and Flea played the rest.

15. CharlieDog

CharlieDog

May 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I think it goes something like

DITC > FTM = Amphutecture > TBIG

But wherever this new album stands, I'll have to get it, just based on my appreciation for their musicianship.

16. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    It's leaked on YouTube. They said you wouldn't be able to tell that it was their acoustic album... they were wrong.

17. Metropolis_488

Metropolis_488 Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Central Virginia
    I really enjoy their music, but I though Goliath was terrible - not because of the music or performance, but because of the production. At times it is just this mush of noise that feels more annoying than cool. There are still some cool songs on it though.

18. Yep. It leaked. My roomate downloaded it today.

I've only heard a song or so off it yet though... I still like Amputechture the best by far though...

19. Leaked :p

Downloaded it

It's realllyyyyyy great, but I love all their albums

20. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Leaked, eh? I guess this is another one I'm going to have to pre-order. :ninja: