1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Mastodon

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sevdog, Jun 24, 2014.

1. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    Listening now, about halfway through. So far so good. Guess we can just go ahead and say good-bye to the heaviness of Remission and Leviathan.

Still, riffs-a-plenty.

2. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Yeah, I think it's a very good record. The sound on this record should really be no surprise to anyone since I think that they've been heading this way for a while. Each of their records seems like another step forward and I think it's refreshing to hear a band that is not afraid to follow their muse. Do I love the classic Mastodon? Of course, but I love The Hunter and this one just as much for slightly different reasons.

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I'm digging this Album. Asleep in the Deep is killer. And the Drum work in Feast your eyes is among the best I've heard.

4. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    My first post was about halfway through the album.

I may have just settled into the vibe of the album but the second half seemed heavier and more complex.

First impression is that I'll be spending a lot of time with this one.

5. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    They'll never top Crack the Skye, but I still dig the new one.

6. Crack The Skye stands as a monumental masterpiece. They may certainly never top it but I'm happy with that. That's what makes it a classic.

OMRTS is sounding absolutely excellent so far. Its what The Hunter could (should) have sounded like. Don't get me wrong, I like The Hunter but its far from my favourite Mastodon release. It just felt disjointed in a lot of songs. A lot of great ideas that didn't always marry each other. I don't feel that with the new album so far. Similar direction but all the ideas flow cohesively and make for some genuinely enjoyable listening. The riffs are top-notch, the bells and whistles are intricate and interesting and the production is gorgeous. Can't ask for much more.

7. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    A couple more listens last night and then this morning and I totally agree with this. It's pretty awesome.

8. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    The first Mastodon album I bought was Crack The Sky. I like it a lot. I like The Hunter too. Gonna pick this one up soon.

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I really like it. Killer album!

I prefer Crack the Skye, but that's a tough album to beat. And I don't think that's ever going to be one if their intentions and it shouldn't be.

10. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    This album is great. I picked it up yesterday. Oddly enough the only song I don't really care for at this point is "Asleep in the Deep". I loved the opening riff then I just got bored with the song.