Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Maxima Gold Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hitman9696, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Hey everyone,

I decided to go ahead and try the Maxima Gold strings. I'm using a DeArmond Pilot Pro 4, with the original strings (gauges .045-.065-.085-.105) . I bought the .050-.065-.085-.105 "Medium" gold pacakge from www.juststrings.com.

I'm a huge John Entwistle fan, and since he uses them, I couldn't resist. In fact, he is the reason I picked up the bass and loving it!

First, did I make a good choice by going for the gold?

Second, will the diffrence in size in the G string be notacible (from .045 to .050)?

I play mostly fingerstyle, only when playing some few punk songs I use a pick.

Thanks for your time...

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't know the answer to your questions, but I'd sure like to know how you like those strings when you get them.

3. I used 'em way back when nobody wanted to pay the hefty price for gold plated strings, and a music store had purchased about 6 sets, that I wound up buying very cheap. I loved them, seemed like they lasted quite awhile, and the tone was always even, not too "zingy" out of the box.