1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New member - Amp ? for Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5fivestringbass, Mar 14, 2010.

1. 5fivestringbass

5fivestringbass

Jan 29, 2010
    DE, US
    Hello - newbie here, though 15yr bass player. Am a new Fender Jazz Bass owner (Highway One), and looking to get back into getting a decent amp/combo amp.

Curious - what do some of you Fender Jazz owners find does a great job of bringing out the warmth and zing of the Fender Jazz.

(I've played the Ampeg B115 combo - and while the warmth is there, it's all muted (to me anyway) on the mids & uppers.)

Thoughts? :help:

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Markbass! :)

3. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007
    IMO, The B115 isn't Ampeg's finest amp...
    (And I'm an Ampeg fan)

I'd checkout the Micro VR (paired with your favorite 2x10 4-ohm cab). Good sound and light weight

4. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    easy one GK!!!!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd +1 for the micro-vr, except for the 4 ohm 210. i'd go 8 ohm because you can add a second 210 down the road and get a 410 in a tall stack. and while the ba115 is voiced kind of dark, the eq knobs work quite well for dialing in other tones, and in that price range it's about the best there is.

6. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    I bought a GK MB210 combo and find it a perfect match to my Fender American Standard Jazz. Rich tone and brings out the growl.

7. U R gonna get EVERYONE's fave amp mentioned here :) Checkout the CLASSIFIEDS section on talkbass here, & ask a few questions of ppl selling amps maybe.
    Are U gonna want to use this purchase for gigging with?? Or just a rehearsal amp etc...?? Type of music U MAY be gonna play? That said- most modern amps have a LOTTA EQ available on them & you really have to try them to see WHICH of these foats yours... Mark Bass is a pretty new Co. outta Italy U should see some LMII's for sale in the classifieds. Try out a few instore & then head 2nd hand is my advice.
    Goodluck!

8. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    ampeg B100R/B200R anyone.?

9. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Any sort of 4 x 10 combo for a crisp punch with an optional extra 1 x 15 cab for woof. Something like in my sig below.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    great stuff but discontinued.

11. 5fivestringbass

5fivestringbass

Jan 29, 2010
    DE, US
    that has a xlr line out right?

12. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Yes and I will second this recommendation as an inexpensive, lightweight amp that is small enough for bedroom practice, but loud enough to do small-medium gigs, especially with PA support. GK has also started making a 2x10 extension specifically for that combo, should you ever need to be louder, so it is definitely an amp you can grow into.

Contrary to what a previous post insinuated, this amp is NOT my favorite amp, but I think it is a nice amp that inexpensively fits the OP's needs and leaves room from expansion down the road as well.

13. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    I use Markbass to amplify my Jazz basses.

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you want the ability to bring out any part of the sound accurately, Genz-Benz can do it, and their amps and speakers are fantastic quality.

The 6.0 and 9.0 Shuttle series amps mount on top of a lightweight speaker and make a combo if desired.

15. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    +1

I have the MB 210 and play a Japanese clone Jazz (however I put DiMarzio 123 humbuckers in it) Plenty of power, ability to add an extension cab, sounds great, and it does have an XLR out though it's pre EQ only. Best of all, it's only 33 lbs and is reasonably priced ($599)

16. Single coil pups, of course, will by their nature be more trebly than not, so my theory is find an amp that balances this out and rounds ur tone some. Beyond that , it certainly depends what genre you're primarily playin... .

Jimbob

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020