1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Member and SX Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigDaveyTwinkle, Sep 1, 2008.

1. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle

Aug 30, 2008
    KCMO
    Hello -
    Thought I would introduce myself here and say thank you for the helpful information found in these pages. Things have changed a lot in the 25 years since I first picked up a bass and 10 years since I last played.

The good I have noticed is that the internet can enable anyone to pick up an instrument and get decent instruction with audio and video for free. Also, the quality of instruments for the same money today is incredible. I just bought an SX jazz bass from Rondo for $149. (more on that later). Based on a constant value for a dollar, I feel the SX should have been two or three times what I paid for it. Great value. Same with the Mexican Fenders coming out. What a great time to be a musician!

The bad I have seen relates to the big box guitar stores and in some way to the affordability and marketing of instruments. I was in one of the box stores yesterday and had to endure a 12 year old with a Les Paul. He may have it but he certainly has done nothing to earn it. Certain guitars are a mark of having arrived, or at least they were, now it seems instruments are marketed so that everyone who has a grandmother with a guilty conscience can own one ... :rollno:

My first bass purchase in a long time last week was an SX Jaguar Jazz bass clone from Rondo. I have gutted the electronics and put in new Dimarzio Ultra Jazz and all new wiring with much improvement. Spent most of last night shimming the neck (no neck tilt screw) and setting the action. Still not perfect, but not bad. I have owned some high end basses, this is not one, but I can say I have gigged with a lot less (a whole lot less in some cases) than this before. All in all very happy with the purchase and to be talking bass again. I hope to get my chops back and maybe start playing again in the Kansas City area next spring. :bassist:

Best wishes to all -

Davey

2. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Welcome! This is a great group of people--very supportive and helpful. My stoiry is similar to yours. Started playing in the late '70s and stopped for 10 years (became a father, stopped gigging, moved around alot, etc.)

Just picked up an SX P earlier this year and a Turser copy of a '54 P (single coil)--both budget basses, but both quite good.

Gonna put together an amp rig and try to start of get into a band again soon. I miss being onstage terribly.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Welcome to TB and the SX family. You've made a great choice for both a forum and a bass.