New Member -- Back at the URB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Freddels, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I've been reading this forum for a while now and finally signed up. I played urb for a couple of years back in college many many years ago but wasn't happy with my playing. I've been getting back into it lately but still have my first urb that I had all those years ago (Englehardt). I've been playing my fretless electric but it does not produce the sound that I hear in my head (urb). I'm looking for that nice Ray Brown sound. I know that the sound is much to do with the player but I figure a nice bass couldn't hurt.

I've been reading all the posts about the New Standards and I really want one. I may have to take a road trip to NY to check them out.

I really like the look of the Cleveland but not sure if she's too big for me (that's a lot of lady to dance with). Another decision would be laminate or hybrid. Not sure if I need the hybrid or if I want the responsibility of dealing with possible damage from the environment. Seems many of the jazz players have opted for the hybrid (and the La Scala model). I will be playing jazz with her. For those NS owners, any particular reason for choosing the model that you did?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    #1 would be the initial buzz from TalkBass. I couldn't try one out due to geography, so I had to rely on help from my friends here, especially Don Higdon, who actually got his hands on my La Scala hybrid before I had it delivered, and said it was a happnin' bass.

Dealing with Arnold and Wil was important, of course, and it's a big part of the overall package. It's sort of like buying a Mercedes; you pretty much know it's gonna be great.

The La Scala first struck me with its beauty (in photos only, of course). It also appeared to offer great access to the upper register, and by all accounts promised to give the quick, balanced response, all over the fingerboard, that I need as a jazz bassist.

It has not disappointed in any sense of the word. I won't bore everyone here with the details of my well documented love affair with this bass, but to say that it's profoundly changed my life's work would not be an overstatement.
  3. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Thanks for the reply. I may have to make the pilgrimage to NY in a couple of weeks. Now to explain to my wife WHY I need this bass. <g>
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I [ok-my dad] bought my Cleveland [laminated] based about 99% on what has been said on here. The other 1% was after emailing Wil and Arnold in combination with doing comparisons with this bass and others on my own. It wins.

I had the chance to do a direct A/B with 2 different basses. They are both school owned [i'm in high school] a Kay S1 with very high action and an Engelhart M1 i believe [rosewood board]. Needless to say-the cleveland won..and that was before i adjusted the bridge for my hands. Also-i had an audition for the music school i will be attending and their bass professor in addition to the jazz department head made very kind comments with regards to the tone of the bass.

Now? I have no clue how realistic of a goal this is [ok-financially], but eventually, [BG instincts coming in] would like to own at least a La Scala, if not a La Scala, La Scala Hybrid, and a Cleveland Hybrid. Just going off the train of thought that it's always nice to have great sounding/playing basses to achieve different tones.
  5. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Well I spoke with Wil de Sola from New Standard this week and today I sent them an email ordering a Cleveland Hybrid. Check will go out in the mail in the morning. Now the wait begins.
  6. Fred,
    "That sound" you are hearing in your head is a Cleveland. Yes it has that Ray Brown E string and much more. Don' t let the lady's size put you off, it's worth standing on a stool to hear her sing. (You know, like Kate Smith or Ethel Merman, boy am I dated). However, according to Arnold, I bought mine second hand due to a shorter dude that had difficulty getting around her. I think Arnold said he was approx. 5' 9" so that is a consideration. I chose the laminate due to stability and the fact that I already had a carved Juzek. I tried to buy the bass that eventually wound up in Simon's (Brutuscheesecake) hands (another blonde laminated Cleveland) but it was spoken for. Additionally, I too bought mine sight unseen due to the reviews on TB. I've never been sorry. Knowing what a positive experience I had with Arnold, I feel certain that you'll be happy with whatever you decide to purchase from him, whether La Scala, Cleveland, laminated, hybrid or carved. Arnold is tops and his basses are a marvel. Just ask any of the fellas that own one.
    "...for a big woman, she sure don't sweat much." Festus Hagan
  7. Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    I must chime in, not like Arnold, Wil and the New Standard need it or anything. Im still really amazed at what these guys are doing. It is almost impossible to find new basses in this price range that compare in sound, balance and quality. We NS owners are becoming a secret society mainly b/c of this forum. I found it in a desperate time because of the kind people here a TB. I must admit, this is still a NEW instrument you are buying. I've had ups and downs with it just like any instrument but it is one that gives me great pleasure to play. I really look forward to growing old with this one as it matures along with me. My bass is the tool of my trade as it is with many of you so choose wisely ;)

Oh Arnold,
    make the check out to:
    Mike Savino
    P.O. Box 5675
    NY,NY 10001