new member/bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3.14, Apr 17, 2005.

1. 3.14

Mar 20, 2005
    outside the ATL
    hey, my name is ryan and i am going to purchase my first bass later this week and it has to be from musicians friend because my brother is using the financing deal so i am using his account to get my stuff. i am thinking about the ibanez gsr200 because it is my favourite of those lower priced ones that i have actually played. i was just seeing if there are other suggestions from y'all since i have almost 0 knowledge on the subject. i am really intrested in the epiphone thunderbird but i have never played one and i didnt know if that is 'too much' bass for me. any info y'all could bestow on me would be mui appreciated.

edit-i have read almost everything on this site so i am not asking without searching. thanks.

2. The GSR200 is a fine choice for a first bass. I have one as my first bass and I know others that have them and love them. Great bass for beginners. Also, have you looked into getting an amp, or were you looking at getting an Ibanez starter pack thingy?

Good luck and I hope you enjoy bass!
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The GSR is a great first bass. No worries there, most of the people who've beaten on theirs for years still have them. I think Tyler eventually ripped the frets out and ended up with a very nice fretless bass. In other words, it's not going to be a bass you'll want to sell.
  4. That I did. It was a bit sloppy of a job ripping the frets out (could of done better), but it was my first time doing it and it all plays the same and sounds good.
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    If you've played and liked the GSR200, then definitely keep it in the list. Thing has more features for less coin than my starter Ibanez from 10 years ago.

The Thunderbirds neck dive like crazy. Though this guy had a creative fix for that

You may also want to look into the Yamaha RBX170. I personally prefer Yamaha neck profiles over Ibanez neck profiles. I don't find Ibanez necks comfortable at all, but your hands are different from mine. Yamaha always makes a quality product you pretty much can't go wrong with.

ESP/LTD has some good starter basses as well. They are reputed to have very consistent quality across the price spectrum.
  6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    +1 for the Yamaha. And the ESP/LTD series

Excellent bang for your buck.

7. 3.14

Mar 20, 2005
    outside the ATL
    well since yamaha is also reccomended what about the bb404? or is the rbx170 better for a n00b? i reckon i got a little to think about.

8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Well, it probably depends on two things.

What kind of music will you be playing?

Which body style do you prefer?

The RBX 170 has a p/j config and the BB 404 has dual humbuckers. Not to mention the difference in body styles.

If I couldn't actually demo the bass in person I would buy it based on the tone I was after.

Which would be determined for the most part by the style of music I would be playing.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, and to playing bass.:cool:

Here is another recommendation for the GSR200. Great starter bass. If you have played one in a shop and you like it, they are very decent basses for the price.
  10. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Another thumbs up for the GSR200. It's a very good starter bass.
  11. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    The Ibanez GSR200 was my first bass. I got her in Butterscotch Transparent, quite an attractive finish if I do say so myself. She plays great, but wasn't my cup of tea. That's when I got my MIM Fender Jazz. $200 for an active bass with decent electronics and a slim neck; can't ask for much more.
  12. i had a GSR 100 for my first bass and wish i had the 200. i was just playing my friend's yesterday and it really is a great value.
  13. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Since you mentioned the Yamaha BB404, I think it's a very good bass. My housemate has a Yamaha BB 5-string (albeit with active electronics and two soapbars) and I'm able to coax a good variety of tones from it.

If you're trying to choose between the Yamaha BB404 and the Ibanez GSR200, I'd go with the Yamaha by a longshot. What can I say? I vastly prefer Yamaha neck profiles to Ibanez neck profiles. And the BB404 is a somewhat higher range than an RBX170 so it's a 'beginner' bass that can also be a sweet backup bass for a semi-pro.
  14. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1 I did the same thing to mine and love it even more as a fretless, plus it was a good learning experience to do it on this cheap bass that I didnt want to part with anyhow.

GSR 200 is a great starter bass!
  15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    -1 on the Ibanez.

My first bass was/is a SR300DX... the GSR is supposed to be a cheaper version of this.
    The SR 300 has an agathis body (covered in cheap paint), a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. Yet it sounds very dull and unlively. Good for dub, but bad for everything else.
    I bought it mainly because it was the only lefty bass within my price range. Yet, when you compare it to other basses, the tone is a huge letdown. The construction is okay, though the paint scrathces very easily and a few drops of rain produced some discolouration. Oh and the p-ups and the electronics downright suck. :spit:
  16. my first bass was a blue Ibanez gsr200 i got it three years ago and i still will play it even though ive goteen new ones