Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Member + Bergs and Head Question!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Overjoyed, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Overjoyed

Overjoyed Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Leicester, England.
    A small introduction first, I've come over fromt the Mxtabs Musicians Forums and joined this site as it seems there are a great deal of brilliant bassists over here and I've heard nothing but good things. I'm 18 years old, been playing bass for 4 years, and play a Modulus.

Anyway, on to the questions. I'm looking to buy a Berg 2x10 and a head of around 300 - 400 watts. Out of which I'll be playing a Modulus FB4.

I'm looking for a head and cab combination that can not only bring out that typical Modulus grit ala Flea etc, but also something that can be mellowed right out (and before anyone says about the FB4 not being good at the mellow stuff its good enough for me ;)).

Do the Bergs respond well to slap/tap as well as fingerstyle and which head would you suggest for me to look at. Prefferably solid state as well please.

2. Flea uses GK heads and cabs, so Im guessing those would bring out the "Flea" sound.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My favorite heads for this scenario would be either the ThunderFunk, Mesa Boogie Walkabout (or other M-Pulse line, if you want more power), or iAMP 500/800. With some tweaking, any of them should be able to hit the tones you are going after. The ThunderFunk may even get you there with the turn of just one knob (Timbre). The iAMP is probably the most flexible, tonally, and the Walkabout would offer the narrowest tonal range of the three (though it is by no means a "one trick" pony).

That new Aguilar AG500 head looks mighty nice, too. Of course, a Walter Woods Ultra is always a welcome addition, especially with Bergantino cabs... :bassist:

4. Overjoyed

Overjoyed Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Leicester, England.
    Thanks mate! I was considering the Thunderfunk as an option as it was anyway! So thanks for the positive input there. Also can anyone tell me the deal with heads coming from the US to the UK in terms of voltage difference/compatability, I'm led to believe that cabs are universal, but heads aren't.

Any input on that would be greatly appreciated ;)! Also if anyone has anymore suggestions feel free to throw them into the ring.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    A number of heads have an easily accessable 110/220v switch on the back (my Walter Woods does, and I think that my iAMP 800 does as well). Some others have internal switches, while yet others may require modification from the factory. So, if you buy one from this side of the Pond, be sure to ask first!

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey -- welcome to Talkbass. Are you referring to the the traditional Bergantino HT-210, or the new HT-210s that just came out? I think there's some info on the latter on Clubbass.ca.

If its the 'older' model, I would suggest a little more wattage, especially if you're going to be slapping/popping a lot (you'll want the headroom). I don't know anything about the newer model (which is 11.5" deep as opposed to the 18" of the other version), but it might be more efficient.

As far as your questions, yes, the Bergie cabs definitely respond equally well to slapping and fingerstyle. They have a nice subtle mid scoop (which can be dialed out if you want with eq) that is very musical, and have a pleasant high end with tight lows.

I don't have a specific head to recommend, but I would say go for as much wattage as you can afford (like an Iamp 800 or something). Check out the Bergantino + Thunderfunk thread, and that might provide some additional info.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how much are you willing to spend?

IME, Euphonic Audio heads sound supreme with Bergie cabs. and heard the same with the Thunderfunk amp. need some grit? add a Fulltone Fulldrive or Sansamp Bass DI to the effects loop, and voila! or you could try out Aguilar's new AG500 head. nothin' but good things said bout that one. or want something that's only 4 lbs.?!? try an Acoustic Image Focus.

these amps are pricey, but if you're going to go high end with the cab, no sense in hampering it with a lackluster head. besides, i'm sure one of us gearsluts have already given up something in the classifieds section where good deals always abound.

good luck!

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    In my experience Berg speakers excel at dynamic response so yes they respond well to tapping/slapping or just general percussive technique. I would recommend at least 500 watts for a new HT210. I use a QSC 2402 bridged and turn it up half way. It always seems to handle more then I think it can.

9. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    +1 -- if you can afford a power amp you might be better off (I run a bridged QSC RMX 2450 into my system), but definitely give a minimum of 500 watts to each Bergie 210 or 115 you run.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    FWIW, Jim B. really likes the sound of Crest amps with his cabs, so if you go a pre/power amp route, you may want to audition some Crest amps (say, CA9).

11. I can personally verify this statement. I have Bergs and the CA9
    WOW! Proud user of NV610 and HT/EX 112. Think KaBoom!

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I also think the Thuderfunk is a great match for the Bergantino. I also use a Demeter preamp/QSCPLX with my Bergies, and the dosen't suck either ;) Dave Funk & Jim Bergantino take great pride in their work. I'm getting a Schroeder 1210 cab later this week, and Jorg Schroeder seems the same way.

13. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    We make a EU model which is switchable from 120 to 240 volts. This amp then also handles 220 and the "230" EU "standard."

Dave "Thunder" Funk