New Member here with a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist4God770, Jan 11, 2004.

1. bassist4God770

Jan 11, 2004
    Hello all,
    First of all I want to thank you for taking the time to look at this post and esp. for those who reply.

To start off with my setup consist of first a Line 6 bass pod, which runs into my QSC RMX2450,(here is where I have a couple of questions)into Carvin Redline 4 x 10(a 8 ohm cab) and a Carvin redline 1 x 18(a 4 ohm cab).

First Question, should I run the power amp in bridged mono and first run into the 4 x 10, then use the extension output of that cab to go in to the 1 x 18. I think these cabs have built-in crossovers on them (but i'm not sure). If I do this I can go from the Bananna plug out into the 1/4" input of the 4 x 10 cab. (Which leads me to my next question) Does anyone know what model number (if there is one like this) that the Neutrik jumbo connector would be for 1/4" plug? Next question, If I run this setup how many ohms would I be pulling from the power amp?

Or should I run the power amp with parallel inputs and use both sides of the power amp? I didn't know if this would mess up the power amp with them being different ohms and all.

Anyways I know that probably is really hard to follow but if anyone could help me that would be awesome.
  2. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    you cant run both of your cabs in bridge mode. You could one or the other of you cabs. Bridge is at 4ohms or 8ohms. Your two cabs, 4 and 8ohms together, are arround 2.67ohms. You can run both of your cabs on one side (each side will go down to 2ohms) or one cab on each side. Try it out to see what you like.
  3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    What he said. By running in paralell, you can control the volume for each cab, since your 4 ohm cab will be louder than than your 8 ohm cab. This is not the best way, but it will do. The best way would be to have two 8 ohm cabs, bridged-mono. I suggest either buying a new 18" cab at 8 ohms or selling your 18" cab to finance the purchase of a new one. And then run a bridged-mono set up.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Usually I'd agree with you but that may not me the case here. True the 4 ohm cab gets twice as many watts as the 8 ohm, but in this case the 4 ohm cab is an 18" sub. Low frequencies generally need more power than higher frequencies to achieve the same SPL.

Having said that, I don't think the RMX seies is 2 ohm stable so don't do it. I'd be running the amp in stereo mode feeding one channel into each cab. YOu can then use the gain knobs to balance the output of the 2 cabs if needed.
  5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Exactly! And if I'm not mistaken, that's why the cabs were designed this way. Not because the carvin engineers are nuts, as some have suggested.
  6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think you should get a crossover to send the highs to the 410, since that has no bottom, and send the lows to the 118. That way you'll have a biamp rig and won't be straining ether cab.