Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New member intro and G&L question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BCinU, Jun 25, 2004.

1. BCinU

BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    Florida
    Hi guys. Thought I'd introduce myself.

I've been lurking for a while, and registered recently. I like vintage P-basses, and play through an Ampeg SVT-4Pro/Bergantino rig in my mediocre garage band every Wednesday night.

Despite my love for Precisions, I'm never happy unless I'm on the prowl for something else. In recent years, I've gone through a MM Stinray and a Fender Zone Deluxe (the one with the soapbars and hippy sandwich body). Neither really did it for me.

I'm thinking hard about a G&L now, as it seems those guitars are a natural progression from my precisions to a more versatile guitar.

I've checked the search function, but couldn't narrow my search enough to avoid wading through hundreds of threads.

Question: What's the real difference between an ASAT and an L-2000?

Question: For those of you with ASATs, would you recommend a semi-hollowbody?

Question: Which G&L neck equates to a precision neck?

Thanks, in advance, for your help. :cool:

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Body shape and standard neck. The ASAT has the single-cut/telecaster shape and G&L #8 neck (1.5" nut width, 12" fretboard radius). The L2K has "standard" body shape and G&L #7 neck (1.75" nut width, 12" fretboard radius) standard. On a custom order you can get any neck profile (#5, #6, #7, #8) on either bass (for a price, of course).

Well, current Fender Ps have 1.625" nut width and 9.5" freboard radius so the simplest answer is "None" as you can't get either of those dimensions on a new G&L.

There are G&Ls out there with 1.625" width nuts. You can't get a new one that size but they are out there.

The G&L #5 neck (1.75" nut width, 7.5" fretboard radius) is probably the closest to the "traditional" Fender P neck (Fender's "C" neck).

Your best bet would probably be to try a few in stores to see which neck you like. G&L moved to #7/#8 (with the 12" fretboard radius) as the standard necks from #5/#6 (with the 7.5" fretboard radius) in the last year or two based on consumer demand. So there are probably all the current necks (#5-8) out there in stores as G&Ls don't always move off the shelf real quickly.