Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Member Intro

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sawblade6, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Sawblade6

Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    Hello everyone, and thanks for having me on this forum. My name is Joseph and i have not played a musical instrument since i was about 7, and that was the piano. I always wanted to play but never got around to it, really cant tell you why. Im a Marine stationed in Japan, so i got plenty of time to kill and over here they LOVE rock music. Especially old school stuff. They actually have some crazy Japanese metal bands. I have a question for you all. I am ambidextriuos.. kinda, i write and do alot of stuff with my right, but i shoot my rifle and any other firearm with my left, and the guitar feels more comfortable in my left. So the question is... can a right handed bass be turned into a left by just re-string`n it? I was looking into buying an Epiphone EB-O begginers kit, with all the stuff i need. Whats the feed back on that. I think it could be ok, but what do i know, i`m greener than the cammies i wear. All the help from y`all would be much appreciated.

Joseph

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You could, but if you play left handed, you'll find several issues -- one, the bass will be balanced all wrong. The knobs will get in the way. You'll need a new nut. And finally, the selection in real left handed instruments is slim pickings. Considering you're ambidextrous, it's probably best to learn right handed.

3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Welcome to Talkbass. I'm prior service as well and have the same situation as you - I write (and play bass) right handed, but shoot everything left handed. I'm guessing it is because of cross-eye dominance (meaning essentially your left eye is stronger than your right, even though you are right handed - I think they determine this stuff in basic marksmanship). At least that is the line they gave me. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at first, but then they said, hey shoot left handed and when I did, everything came together (although it was awkward at first).

I agree with Govithoy - you'll have an easier time of things playing right handed. Equipment will be easier to find. Most instructional materials are written from a right-handed perspective and most teachers seem to get lost trying to teach lefties. Not to say you can't do it - many people do so quite well.

I would highly recommend you get a Fender Jazz Bass - Made in Mexico (or Made in Japan, since you are there?). They are a bit more expensive than the EB-O, but cheaper than those made in the US. They are decent sounding, playable, very versatile, easy to modify later (lots of aftermarket parts to hotrod with) and generally good quality overall. Not sure if they make lefty versions, though. Hope this helps.

4. Sawblade6

Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    i figured i would be told to do it right handed. From reading other lefties on this forum the best thing ive seen was to be a switch hitter. I would buy a Fender.... i`d love to purchase a Fender. But ..
    A: i`m cheap
    B: I have no gear at all, so im looking for the whole sh`bang.
    there is also a couple other companies that are offering ready to go kits. I have not found a lefty kit, but from what ive learned im better off buying a reg. bass(righty). But besides the knobs and screws... it can just be restrung, so if i ever get curious, or get more comfortable that way. Kinda like killing two birds with one stone. thanks

Joseph
    USMC

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

WElcome to TalkBass. I hope you enjoy the many fine forums here.

To be somewhat contrary; If playing lefty feels instinctively correct...go for it! You'll have to make adjustments, and instruments will not always accomodate you in every way. But I am looking at it from the Hendrix angle. Just be the best you can, learn stuff, play with others and develope a style that fits you.
    As far as simply "re-stringing an instument for left-handed play. It's a bit more complex than that but not impossible.

Stay smart & tough in the Corps too.

6. Sawblade6

Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    Thats exactlly how I am thinking, just like Hendrix. Develop my skill and find out what works and feels the best, right now... i dont know where i stand because i have nothing to play. Soon after the holidays i`ll be getting one. Im going stir crazy over here. Smart and tough is all we got on Okinawa, i attend college classes and PT alot. Thats why i need a bass, IM BORED!!!!