Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Member - Introductions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kroy, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Hello all,

There's not dedicated forum for welcome and introductions so I figured I'd just Bogart some space in this forum. I'm James but you can call me Kroy. I've been playing bass for a little over 10 years. I took a few years off of really intense playing to go to school and get an Undergrad and Master's degree in music composition. Now that I'm out of school I'm back to playing bass a lot more and really loving it.

My personal goal is to make a living as a musician either by playing gigs, recording, or as a teacher. Right now I'm a guitar/bass/voice instructor at a music school and I'd love to add some gigging to my schedule. Unfortunately my gear isn't really up to par for anything larger than a coffee house. I have 2 basses both bought when I was just learning so they're both cheap and a little dicey. I have an old Ibanez GT (precursor to the SG series I think) which was made fretless by someone who didn't really know what they were doing. The neck is a mess and they put round-wound strings back on the neck so the fretboard is completely chewed up. I didn't know the round-wound strings were a problem until recently. The bass that I actually play and teach on is a short scale Danelectro Longhorn (I think). I bought it for like 200 dollars in college because it was a better bass than I had and I was a broke college student. Amazingly it doesn't too bad but the electronics on it leave quite a bit to be desired. My current amp is a Fender BXR 100W. It's actually a nice sounding amp.

I've never been much of a 'gear head' so that's one thing I've been educating myself about lately. Amps, pick ups, pots, effects, heads, cabs, so on and so forth. I'm in the market for some new gear that would allow me to play bigger shows. I want a better quality bass and have been playing everything I can get my hands on for the last 4 months. I also want a new amp head and cab so I've been doing research on those. So don't be surprised if you see me all over this place asking questions that may seem ridiculous. I'm impressed by the little I've seen so far and I'm looking forward to becoming a member of the community.

Cheers,

Kroy

p.s. I love ninjas :ninja: :ninja:

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hi Kroy,

Normally these things go in the "Miscellaneous" forum but that's ok. We'll let you slide this time.. ;)

Welcome to TalkBass! May I call your attention to both the "Search" tab up top and the FAQs section.. Both are wonderful (though seldom used it seems) tools here on the boards..

Now, quit stalling and post pics of your gear, dammit!!

:)

3. Welcome and hello!

Ken

4. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Oops! So sorry, feel free to move this thread to the 'propa' channels. I'll see what I can do about those naughty pics of my gear. Though that poor Ibanez really is in rough shape. That might be exploitation.

Edit: Whoa! Mark, you're in Huntsville? I grew up in Flo-town. My family is still there. I'm actually looking to move back to the area (Huntsville, not Florence). Good to meet ya neighbor!

Edit Edit: Whoa! KJung, you're in Detroit? I'm in Detroit, well just outside of it in Woodhaven. Seriously, that's kinda creepy.

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yeah, c'mon back down where the weather's warmer, where there's no such thing as "75 below wind-chills" and where you don't have to plug in your engine to make sure it starts in the morning!!

I'll buy you a beer (or beverage of your choice if beer's not your thing)!!!

:hyper:

6. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Beer is totally my thing.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Hate to break it to you but there is a Mega tread on this. I think Blackbird started it, but It's huge. So big I never bothered when I joined.
    That being said Welcome and enjoy yourself!

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
  9. Welcome to Talkbass from another Michigander. (although I'm a west sider):)

10. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    As requested, pics of my gear.

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Nice cat!!!

:D

12. Kroy

Kroy