1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New member = new band = new name

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JeffC, Jul 23, 2007.

1. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    Hey all,

In early March I got together with a couple buddies and made up a "band" we didn't practice much and there was really no structure or set list, etc. Jokingly we called our self "Liquor Snatch" and this was out logo:

Our guitarist, isn't really as committed as the drummer and I and he has more or less dropped out. We now have a very committed guitarist who is very organized as well (Canadian Military man... a very structured person). In any case, I feel we should change the name as this is definitely a new band, but we would like to keep the logo. We mostly do covers now but we are working on some original material slowly.

Any suggestions with regards to a name? I'm having a bit of trouble getting the ball rolling.

Thanks

2. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    What about The Mike Hunt Project? Or The Rosie Palmers? :D :D Just kidding, good luck with choosing a new name. My current band is having the same troubles.

3. scootron

scootron

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Our band went 5 months (and a couple of paying gigs) without a name. Then, for a pretty big gig, we felt that we HAD to come up with one. We wound up with one that nobody really was crazy about, but we were tired of dealing with it.

My suggestion...do whatever it takes to find one that you are truly happy with. I wish we would have done so. On the one hand, a name doesn't define a band or its music, but on the other, it helps you get fired up when you see a flyer for your band and it has a name that you really like.

Another suggestion...resist the impulse to go with something that is too 'cute' or otherwise inappropriate. Always assume you could become much more successful than you are now, and make sure you have a name that will grow with you.

(I had the pleasure a few months ago to visit with a country artist who grew up near. He also produces and promotes new acts, and one thing he mentioned is that the process often involves changing the names of the groups, some of which involved unfortunate choices in original names. He was Tim McGraw. I didn't really know his music, but he put on a good show and was a very nice guy, very down to earth, as was his wife.)

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    if you have a good fan base, keep the name. If not, call it the high flying trapeze artitst from prehistoric nocturnal moments, or whatever it is you want to call it.