1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New member, new bass and a question about parts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by senecio, Aug 6, 2012.

1. senecio

senecio

Aug 6, 2012
    Hi all,

First post here, happy to be a new member of the forum. I just ordered my first bass since I got rid of the Peavey T-40 I played in high school in the early 90s.

I ordered a used Ibanez SR400 from Guitar Center online and it's being shipped to my house. I got it for a great price and according to the guy I talked to, it's in good playing condition besides some cosmetic dings and scratches (which I don't care about.) From what I have been able to figure out based on color and knob configuration it's a 1996 or 1997 in Jewel Blue color. The only issue besides cosmetics is that 4 of the 5 control knobs are missing. This bass has the 2 knobs for volume and pickup balance, and then the 3 smaller ones for the EQ. It's missing all but one of the smaller EQ knobs.

Can anyone help with a site that sells replacements for a reasonable price? I googled the part numbers and for those exact knobs, it's like $12/knob which seems excessive. Is there anything special about these knobs that I couldn't just use commodity knobs? Here's the specifics about the knobs (I think.)

For the larger 2 knobs:
    Parts # Color Memo
    4KB1C1B BK Screw Lock type

For the smaller 3 knobs:
    Parts # Color Memo Unit
    4KB1C31C C for Splined Shaft Pot

Thanks in advance!!

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Check guitarfetish.com. They'll have something that'll fit.

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    You got rid of a t-40 for an Ibby?

4. senecio

senecio

Aug 6, 2012
    I guess my question is more about the pot shafts - are they all the same, will they take standard knobs? I'm pretty sure the two larger knobs (volume, balance) are standard tele-style knobs, but I'm unsure of the EQ knobs

Sadly I got rid of the T-40 in the early 90s when I was in college and needed money. I wish I still had it (although my back and neck are probably going to be happier with the Ibby.)