Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New member of the Cirrus club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darrelpr, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Add me to the list of GAS victims who’ve succumbed to the siren song of the Cirrus.

After several months of homework and vacillating between the Carvin XB series, Stingray 5 and Fender RB5, I purchased a Redwood/Alder 5-stringer from Mr. E’s this weekend. (Peavey has them in stock so I should have it in my hands by the end of the week.) I’ll post a review as soon as get my TI flats installed and have had a chance to beat on it for awhile.

I can’t get over how much Peavey basses have evolved since the original T-40 of the late ‘70’s…

Cheers,
    darrelpr

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Welcome to the club! :cool: Don't forget to post some pics when you get it!

- Frank

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Darrell, welcome to Talkbass.:)

Congratulations on your new bass. I would have a redwood 6 right now if my wife hadn't talked me out of it and into the tiger eye 6 Custom that I have now. Fine basses!

4. just wondering, what would be a normal price for a Peavey Cirrus 5 string?

5. embellisher

thebug, in the US, for one of the non Tiger Eye models, the street price is around $1200. I have seen shops charge as much as $1500 for them(that's around the list price IIRC) and I have heard of good negotiators getting them for $1000.

I have no idea what that would translate to in guilders or Euros.

6. Welcome, Darrell.

Congrats on joining the Cirrus Club! You'll find many current and former members on this board.

Exactly where is this Mr. E's? I've heard of them having quite the Cirrus inventory and I am dying to get my hands on a Tiger Eye.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats, D.

8. thanx Embellisher, that would be somewhere around
    1150 euro. I am still looking for a shop here in the Netherlands that sells them haven't found one yet, I would really like to try a Cirrus (and buy one too they really give me GAS)

9. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Danny,

Mr. E's is in Bedford (mid cities area between Dallas & Ft. Worth).

When I was there Friday, they had approximately 5 Cirrus models in stock that they were clearing out due to their age (>1 year on display).

cheers,
    darrelpr

10. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Embellisher,
    I may be wrong but I *think* the Redwood 5-string lists around $1900 now and the non-Redwood models for around $100 less. The Tiger Eye was significantly more but I didn't see anything on it that could justify me paying the extra $$$ above what I'd already budgeted.

(To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the list price when we were writing up the order though.)

cheers
    darrelpr

11. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    That's possible. Peavey's June 2001 price list had the Walnut, Wenge, Bubinga and Maple tops listing for $1749 and the Redwood for $1849 (or $1899). I don't remember The Claro Walnut being listed, but I'm sure it would be in the same ballpark as the Redwood. The Tiger-Eye Custom (which has the sweepable midrange, Hipshot tuners & bridge, ebony fingerboard, wood knobs & control cover) listed for something like $2695 or $2795.

- Frank.

12. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I haven't seen one in Sweden, but according to a review i read, list price was 2900$ - in Sweden that is. I don't know if it will cost that much in Belgium, but I thought you might want to know.

13. Congrats Darrelpr! I just picked up probably the exact same bass(redwood/alder 5-string), it's awesome!!

As for price, I bought my demoed Cirrus 4 for $800 USD 6 months ago, and I traded it in for the Redwood 5er plus $150 USD this past Saturday, which I thought was a pretty good deal. So I guess I paid about $950 for a very slightly used bass which lists at $1900 USD new, which I think is a pretty good deal.

Welcome to the club!

Mark

14. embellisher

The list price for the Tiger Eye 6 was $2899 when I bought mine. IIRC, the 5 was $300 less. Of course, I got mine for significantly less than list, it was a holdover from last year's NAMM.

15. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Congrats on your Cirrus Darrylpr. I got my Q top tiger 5 new for $1500.

16. welcome to the world... I need to take pictures of mine (Bubinga 5). Which I picked up for $800 + case from GC used (less than a year). They wanted a grand... I got them down to $800... wanted $800 out but they were stuborn....