1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Member, Old Story

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boxerrider, Mar 25, 2009.

1. boxerrider

boxerrider

Mar 16, 2009
    I've been burning up the TalkBass search button, figured I should take a few minutes to say hi and thank you to the dozens of posters who have already answered many questions for me!

Started with a short-scale Fender Bullet and and a small combo amp(best forgotten) about the time I started driving. Needed to be louder and wanted to sound better in college, aquired an Ibanez SR800, 200 watt Crate and budget model JBL 15" cab. Had about a decade of fun with that rig, pushed it into the corner for a few years and became a harmonica player, then set it all aside while I became a father.

Both kids are old enough to participate with this stuff now and I've been dragging things out occasionally. No outlaw is safe for very long in a small Texas town so now I'm getting requests to be a bass player again.
    Bass amp works sometimes and quits others. Never was real proud of it so I'm in the market for a head and depending on how things go maybe another cab or two further on up the road.

Probably going to buy a Nemesis NA650 unless y'all talk me into something else. I play blues, rock, and some country, not real fancy, just solid & steady. :cool: From what I've read I should be able to get from really clean to a little gritty with the NA650 and have plenty of extra power in reserve. Can't find many people complaining about having to fix them all the time which is a big plus for me too.

Thanks again.
    Enjoy!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    ...For which we are genuinely grateful. :) Seriously! That'll win you friends and get you more help here. Anyway, as to your amp needs, the Nemesis is a fine amp, but for blues/rock/country I'd steer you to the Mesa Walkabout Scout. Check out the threads about it, I think you'll agree. However budget is usually a factor, so what's your max budget?

3. boxerrider

boxerrider

Mar 16, 2009
    I live about 100 miles from anywhere else and don't have a lot of free time so taking a couple of days to drive around playing with amps isn't going to happen. I bet I would really like the Walkabout but I think it's out of my range. I could possibly stretch to $450, but would really like to stay under $400. I don't mind buying used when it's equipment I believe in. The Nemesis stood out because I'm reasonably confident about being able to get a good sound out of it even if it's not something I fall in love with and it looks like a whole lot of amp power/quality-wise for $350.

Enjoy!

4. boxerrider

boxerrider

Mar 16, 2009
    I bought the last B-factory NA650 from Musician's Friend. It would crackle for a while when cool, I cleaned the input jack and snugged up the nuts on the gain & enhance pots, everything is tip-top now. Gotta water the money tree so I can go cab shopping this summer. Sure would be nice to find a 2x12 that's as good of a bargain as this amp has been.

Enjoy!

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Congrats.

Having gear you enjoy is a wonderful thing.

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    NA650 is a superb amp.

7. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Congrats on NA650 nice amp!
    buget cab suggestion Avatar
    neo blue tolex good match w/650.:)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I greatly prefer Nemesis over Eden, even though Nemesis is supposed to be the budget brand.