Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Member to the Family Mr ATK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenBass, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Well here it is...sat in my hands right now..purchased of Ebay a 1998 Ibanez ATK 405.....and I have to it is supurb for a relatively cheap bass.. I really wanted that Stingray-esq tone in my tool box but having a GB Custom and a Shuker Custom on the way I couldnt afford to buy a really MM...but this ATK nails the sound almost dead on. :)

The condition is great..few buckle marks on the back of the bass but that really is about it..the action will need sorting out...the player before had it set to hi for me...so0o i will lower it and make it stoopidly low like my GB...

Getting use to the 5 string aspect is getting there :)....I decided to take the plunge once i had played on of Jon Shukers 5 Strings..so0o plumped for it..cause it was so0o easy to play...

The bass really does go very low and u get a really nice overdriven sound with it....played briefly with a pick and u can get a very nice punky-esq sound out of it (the offspring and Greenday both used ATK on early records if i remember correctly)

The description on the net said it had a Birdseye fingerboard..and indeed it does..but it is only very lightly figured but that is okay and the neck is satin finished (dunno if this is standard) but its nice and slick...

The output of the bass is typically Ibanez...not to0o hot but not so quiet its silleh... I am soon i will buy a new Pre-Amp for it...maybe a MK-1 or something like that..be very nice..

Anyway here are some piccies (I shall get some better ones.. and one taken by me as soon as i can..and a few sound clips to0o.....i think its about time you showed the ppl in the dark...how awsome GB Electronics are..and this bass too)

Chheerrsss

Zen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    You outbid me on that one... :(

Unfortunately I was out gigging last Friday night and couldn't bid when the auction ended!

Still, have fun with it... :D

Russ :bassist:

3. awww sorry Russ :rolleyes:

hehe...but if i ever sell it i shall let u know lol...and u can have first dibs...it might end up useless after i get my Shuker in August lol....

wo0opy....

anyway u have a large nicer collection than mine hehe..wot u playing these days anywho?...

with u singlecut Sei's...fookin amazin GB's and and stuff??..

:hyper:

4. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Just the singlecut Sei, a Brice fretless 6 and my good ol' JV-series Squier Jazz. Soon to be augmented by a custom(-ish) 5-string fretless with a Status graphite neck.

Shame, the ATK would have fitted the collection so well... :D ;)

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    congrats! tis a sweet plank!

I love mine! It gets just as much play as my other babies.

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Welcome to the ATK familly!!!!!!!!!

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Welcome to the ATK family. As I've told others - don't ever let it go.

Why are you looking to change the pre? It sounds like you really the tone, so why the need to change? If output is the only thing you're worried about, adjust your amp's gain or raise the pickup.

I've modified a number of my basses, but I wouldn't touch anything on my ATK. I would be afraid of losing "that" tone.

Just wondering. Great bass - congrats on the snag!

8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

agreed...
    you can also adjust the values in the electronics compartment....

9. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    xo, how did you get hold of the brice here in the uk?
    great atk there.

10. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I ordered direct from Kurt at Rondo Music, and paid by PayPal. I had to pay about £40 in customs charges and VAT when it got here (about 3 weeks later) but it was in very good nick and is a very nice bass, well worth the £240 or so I spent on it! :D

11. nice atk, ive never had a chance to play the japanese atk's with the single coil pup, but i dont think they'd be as good as the korean ones with the voicing switch :p , im tossing up at the moment to either get my atk refinished in a swirl pattern or buy one of those carvin DIY basses and get that finished with the swirl..but i think it'll be the atk :D , my little tribute to vai

http://www.abouttimedesigns.com/Ibanez Swirl Gallery2.htm
    [​IMG]
    mmmmmmmmmmmm, swirl...i bet that would look nice with the atk bridge and a clear pick guard