New member who needs some advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Godcreep, Oct 28, 2000.

1. Hi,
    I just signed in and I have to say this looks very cool.
    I live in Belgium, Oudenaarde ...
    Well, I need some advice. I dunno if any of you guys are into hardcore music... I certainly do, and I play in a band called M.C.L. Here's my problem: I'm looking for a good amp and there is so many good stuff, like Peavey, Hartke, Trace etc. I'm looking for a setup for playin' gigs. Let's say something around 400 W . Yesterday I played a second-hand Hartke amp. It was 700 W 2 x 350 W. The cabinet was a Transporter 4 x 10. and 1 x 15. (2 cabinets) Well, I was thinking when I turned it on, this is going to blow me away, but it didn't at all.
    Anyway, the price was not bad at all. After that I went to look for a new installation at a store I know very well.
    They had also Hartke, in fact this was a 350 W amp. with the same cabinets as in the other store, and man, this sounded killer !! Off course the price was abit higher here :) I also tried Trace Elliot, a 400 W amp with 1 cabinet that was 2 x 10 I think. This sounded also very good.. but the price was even higher then the Hartke stuff.
    Is any of you guys using Hartke ? Had problems with it ? Is it suitable for playin' hardcore music? See, it's alot of money and I don't want to make a bad buy. Or can you guys recommend me tryin' another brand that's more suitable for playin' hardcore. I need a heavy but warm sound. that's going very loud :)))
    Well, I hope somebody replies to this.
    (what about using the Hartke head with a Trace cabinet for example?)
    Wimpy 'Godcreep'
  2. I use the Hartke 350 watt amp and it's great for hardcore.. I'm in a few groups and one is a hardcore group and it's awesome! but now I need a new cab! grr that's where I have the expertise in... oh well.. hope I helped you.. lol

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think the Hartke 7000 is just the 3500 with another power amp, so there shouldn't be much difference in the sound. Maybe try the heads with Hartke's XL cabs. I've owned a Hartke 3500, and I liked it a lot. Very versatile, and mine was dependable ... never went to the shop.
  4. Hmmm ..
    Is there much difference between the 'normal' transporter cabs and the XL cabs? (I'm kinda new to this stuff)

What about using just one cab, or do I have to use both cabs ?
  5. There isn't too much of a diff between the transporter and the xl's other than the weight and the xl's have a tweeter.. I haven't played through either of them but ppl who have said there isn't much or a difference in tonality... and there's a big difference in price too! heh

you can use one or two cabs.. depending on the impedence of them.. if you have 2 8ohm cabs.. it's alright.. if it's 2 4ohms or one 4 and one 8.. it's no good if you amp can't handle 2 ohms...