1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New member! :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paul Glickman, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Paul Glickman

Paul Glickman

Feb 18, 2019
    All,

I am redoing my bass rig after many years by changing out my amp. My problem is that I got a new power amp and need to setup the crossover. Here is my rig

Almebic 4 string Epic
    Eden Navigator preamp
    Crown XTi 4002 amp (New)
    Alesis Quadraverb
    SWR Goliath Sr
    SWR Big Bertha

I used to have a Peavey CS1200, which I had for 30 years and never once had a failure, and got rid of it due to weight. The damned thing was heavy!!! The new Crown is MUCH lighter and puts out twice the power :)

So, how the hell do I setup the crossover!? Im pretty saavy with electronics but this is out of my league! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

mikewalker and Plutonium244 like this.
  2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Welcome to the forum!

Sorry I can't help with your crossover, but just for the sake of asking, why do you need it?

3. Paul Glickman

Paul Glickman

Feb 18, 2019

You >>>MUST<<< have a crossover with an amp/pre-amp combination.

4. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Are you using your crossover as a high pass filter, or are you bi-amping?

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  5. Paul Glickman

Paul Glickman

Feb 18, 2019
    I am biamping. Ill have one channel for each cabinet, so I can use either or both. I also would like to setup a "general" preset on the crossover in case I decide to hook up a tuner/mp3 player and plug in some speakers. Im sure this can all be done but I simply dont know how.

6. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I find that for bi-amping, the crossover freq can be very subjective and takes time to find the "right" frequency that sounds the best to you. Personally, I would skip it since both of your cabs would sound great in full range.

Welcome Paul!! and I suggest searching for some bi-amp threads that may shed more light on what you're after.

Wisebass likes this.
  7. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Your cabs are designed as full range bass cabs, with their own internal crossovers. That's why I was asking.

8. Paul Glickman

Paul Glickman

Feb 18, 2019
    I would prefer to skip setting up the crossover but how do I set the amp up for full range? I hooked it up and most of the bass is missing. Not really sure what I should do?

9. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Is there terminology confusion at play here, I wonder? Do you mean dual mono, maybe?

10. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    There should be a stereo/biamp mode switch on your eden, be sure its set on stereo. Then be sure your power amp is set to run full range. That should be all you need...

basscooker likes this.
  11. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Paul :)

No! Having a new power amp is not the problem!

Problem is how to use the darn thing! :D

:sorry: Sorry! I know that doesn' t help a lot!

Just came to say: Welcome to TB!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

porterbass and BasturdBlaster like this.
  12. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    OP, I think that ^^^^^ is what you're after.

You mentioned using one cab or the other, so I don't think bi-amp setup is what you're wanting to do. This means seperating the lower freauencies from the higher frequencies and using one side of the amp for each.

Both cabs are full range, so using the rig that way is (somewhat) unnecessary, and makes one side alone sound boomy and dark or thin and honky.

You seek dual mono or stereo mode, methinks. No crossover necessary.

13. Paul Glickman

Paul Glickman

Feb 18, 2019
    Man, I sure hope you guys are right!!! I sound like a dumbass! :( What really threw me is that I called Crown and they told me I needed a crossover to do what I want, so I bought the Crown XTi 4002 because it has it built in. They then told me it needed to be set properly, so I am getting a lot of bad info it seems :( My old amp, which I still have was/is a Peavey CS1200 and my sound is thunderous. My cabs are actually underpowered and have been for MANY years, and it was finally time to upgrade (mainly because of the weight).

I need to figure out how to set the amp to "full range" and make my cabinets sound decent. After I plugged in everything, most of the bass was missing and my sound was horrible. Not sure why this is...?

14. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    There is a crossover built into your preamp. With those cabinets you would not need to buy it up and it will sound awesome and straight stereo

15. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    Generally, all the power amps that I've bought new were set to stereo full range without any filters added. You'll have to check the manual to operate the dsp/ processor. The crown drive cores i have are very easy to navigate. You have yourself an awesome rig indeed, I'm jealous! Best of luck Paul!

16. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    So...the xTi has DSP and will need some programming to make it work. From the manual, it looks as tho' you can get started with the Stereo DSP OFF (Preset #1) or Bridge (Preset #2). To get the most out of the amp, you will need to download the System Architect Software and control the amp from a PC. I have a much older version of this amp - it takes awhile to learn how to drive the beast.

From the manual ( https://www.harmanaudio.com/on/dema...own_XTi2_1002_2002_4002_6002_OwnersManual.pdf ):

"NOTE: System Architect Software is required to have full control over all Integrated Processing Features which can be downloaded from the following URL – http://hiqnet.harmanpro.com/. "

17. Paul Glickman

Paul Glickman

Feb 18, 2019
    I actually did DL and install the software. However, it IS NOT user friendly and you really need to know what you are doing in there BEFORE making changes. The DSP is off by default and, after I plugged everything in, it sounded like crap. I figured it was because the crossover wasnt set. Maybe it was something else?

18. Paul Glickman

Paul Glickman

Feb 18, 2019
    Thank you so much!! I have had my rig for a long time and my sound is the best I have ever heard. I usually run dry and only use the effects processor for messing around. Its incredible how loud, clear and punchy my bass is :) I always wanted to get the SWR shirt that said, "Feel my bottom!" Too bad :(

19. Paul Glickman

Paul Glickman

Feb 18, 2019
    Again, the guys from Crown put me on a goose chase :( I have already spoken to a couple people and they really dont know poopie. I will need to call them back to see if I can put the amp in "full mode" and not use the crossover. I simply dont know.

20. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Re: above post, double check that nowhere in your signal chain is there any engaged or active circuit that is labeled crossover or bi-amp.....

The physical connections are likely very different than your old amp, so make sure didn't make any assumptions about which input or output connects to which output or input. The first time I used a GK 800RB I FUBAR'd the high amp by making assumptions. Hey, at least my gf's dad got a freshly serviced amp out of me....