New Mesa Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moma Jones, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Has anyone out ther had the chance to play the new mesa big block 750 bass head?
    I`m wondering if it is availale yet.....
  2. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I talked to Mike from Boogie when I was up there in Peteluma and he said that because of some problem with their tube supplier in England, production is being delayed.

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Wha Wha Whattt?
    Is it a 700W tube head??? What's going on??
  4. quoted right from mesa to thier dealers)
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Mesa/Boogie proudly presents the big block 750!!!! sixteen tube drivin mos-fets are the back bone of the simul-state power section which is cabable of delivering up to 750 bone crushing watts. THe blood and guts of the tone are then shaped by an 8-stage Vacume tube preamp (4 x 12AX7`s), with Gain Active Bass.Active and Passive Mids, Active treble, and Master Volume Controls. Now stand back cause here`s where things get interesting. The Big Block has a footswitchable Vacuum Tube Overdrive with independent Over-Drive and Master Volume Controls. .....(examples of sounds available)..... Also included is a designated tuner out, two speed dual cooling fan and series effect loop, both speakon and 1/4 inch speaker outs, bal XLR line out with pre/post switch level control and ground lift. and for the big touring rigs, our standard Slave Out with Level control. Finally th boys at the shop have found a way to package all of the features and power into a Two-Space Rackmountable Head with a $1299.00 U.S. list
    ***sorry for spelling and grammer mistakes***
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yet another Boogie amp I must own. Let's see, that adds it to the list of:

130 Bass
    Bass 400
    Bass 400+
    Walkabout Scout
    and now the BigBlock

I think Mesa needs to slow down a little bit so I can catch up!
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sounds very interesting!
  7. OOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh....Another wonder-rig from Mesa. So cool. That Simul-state power angle sounded _very_ sweet in my old M-2000; a nice amount of "give", not so sterile. Right on.
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ill start fighting to have one of these in the stores ASAP..... You can expect reviews shortly after that.

9. Umm..ok but, why the hell is Mesa releasing SO many bass amps? I mean, I frankly didn't see the point of having both the M-Pulse 600 AND a 360 when the Wak-A-Bout is already 300w's; redundant. Now this "Venture" thing...another redundancy if you ask me. The Big block sounds very different which makes sense but all those others...just setting themselves up for at least one flop if you ask me. Odd thinking.....I dunno.
  10. I know, it does seem like mesa is releasing alot of amps as of late. From what I understand the Big Block is going to replace the M-pulse 600 and the walk about is taking over the spot for the the more M-pulse. They explained this to me as I was going to buy the 600 and they advised me to wait. I have teh first one on order and as soon as I get it I will post a review. But if it is available in the US first (Im up here in Canada) I would love to hear some opinions on it as well.
    Thanks again to MESA/BOOGIE for relesing great product after great product.
  11. Let me know when it gets there, so I can check it out.
  12. how much does it weigh?
  13. Ha! That was probably the toss-up; a mega-powerful, feature laden rig all distilled down to two rack spaces but weighing as much as a minivan.

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I wouldn't complain about them making a bunch of bass amps - this has been the first time they have made more than two bass amps at a time! Get them while they're hot!
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think the idea is basically to have an amp available for all the diferent kinds of scenarios you might come across.

The Walkabout is meant for a player looking for solid tone from a small lightweight simple package.

The M-pulse 360 is for the player looking for a fair amount of power with lots of tonal versatility.

The M-pulse 600 is for the player looking to do the bigger gigs with plenty of tonal versatility without the weight of the 400+.

The venture is simply a newer packaging for the previous amp including several differnt combos (the 210 is sweet! Because the cab is much larger than normal you get MORE BASSSSSS!)

The other smaller combos are just a way of packaging the Walkabout and cabs for smaller gigs

This new amp is probably designed to replace the 2000. Its beyond versitile, and powerful.

The 400+ is just the tube power monster.

Personally I think its great that they offer all these different packages.

16. M-pulse 600 +M-2000; too similar, 600 has much better tone anyway so bye bye 2000.
    M-pulse 360 and walk-a-bout; pointless, similar in too many ways.....bye bye 360.
    Just worried that with so many products too choose from, some are bound to become marketing flops and th emore of those Mesa produces the shakier their financial footing will become. I have seen this happen with a few long-gone buisiness'
  17. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    The M pulse 360 is kind of a mystery to me. Its only $150.00 cheaper than the 600. See my point. All I need is the 360, but for just a little more may as well get the 600. If the 360 was cheaper it would be a better amp.
  18. Harranged 'em for ages 'bout porducing a decent 12" cab which would have made sense to me given Mesa's leaning toward that "rootsy" vibe but they always dismissed it. Seems like they finally bit ( awhile after the fact IMO) and have made a 2x12? Anyone know more..?
    I understand their "philosophy" of not6 posting cab specs ("just use your ears") given the obvious voodoo of it all but what a pain for guyd like me who don't have the luxury of trying every new-fangled product casually.
  19. Sounds like an SWR amp made by MESA... just judging by the features. I'm pumped to play one, but don't think i'll buy one (my 400+ does me fine)