Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Mesa M pulse 360 anyone doinit ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joseph Sheldon, Nov 15, 2002.

1. I am currently looking to purchase a new head for my ampeg cab wich is 4 ohms and a pretty great flat tone cab. I wondering wich amp or amps have the greatest reliability record and kicken bottom end and also upper mid so my tone is crystal clear supper punchy with great bottom. I use active and passive basses 4 and 5 string basses and I hate distortion and noise. Don't mind paying out some bucks and I just don't want any problems like I'm having with my Hartke head I don't care for it too much I don't think it has the greatest tone. I like jazz funk and heavy rock. I looking at the Mesa m-pulse 360 and wanted some feedback on that head or any other head one would suggest around 600 to 850 bucks. Thanks!!!

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive played both the Walkabout and the M-Pulse 600, and can tell you that these amps sound great.

The footswitchable features are pretty cool too. I know that the EQ, solo, and comp footswitches will get a lot of use out of them if I ever get the amp.

Im not sure how much they cost though. I know that the 600 is around $1300. Do you know how much the 360 is? Id be interested in finding out.

Peace
    Nick

3. The 360 I looked at was in West Chester Pa. at a local music store almost right next to the school. The owner was asking $800 for it new. To tell you the truth I would like to know myself if it is a good price I can't find it on the web anywhere new.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That sounds really good considering the price of the Walkabout is so close and it has many more features.

Peace
    Nick

5. I have the 600.I really like this amp!!!$800. for a 360 sounds like a good deal considering the 600 is like $1300. the thing I like most is the simplicity of it. if your a plug n play kinda guy this is your amp.I also use 4 and 5 string basses(Fender fretlessw\emg p\j,Ric4001,Modulus Genisis5) and this thing delivers the goods by the truckload! I've used the semi-parametric eq. a couple of times,but I don't need it,I find the 3 band to be more than enough...not to say that the parametric eq is not a VERY useful feature that is foot switchable but I use very little eq so I don't really need it(I suppose you could have a totaly sound ready to be switched on)I like the compresser too..adjustable and useful.only 2 rack spaces and it's light, not to mention this amp is LOUD..I'm sure the 360 is no slouch..I don't think you'll be dissapionted with this amp.

6. how do the knobs feel on yer M-Pulse rigs? Solid or wiggely...? i have heard from some they may feel "cheap" like a Mo'Bas or something.
    Kudos to Mesa for incorporating more of a "plug n' play" ethic into their gear. My 5 yo M-2000 has never had a sound that I _really_ liked, just lots of mediocre ones. I toured the factory last spring and can tell you for certain that ALL their gear gets an amzing amount of "going over" B4 it is ever sent out. They really stand behind their products.

7. so far so good...I've owned it a little over a year now and I see no signs of cheesiness...all knobs and switches feel solid and it even took a spill from atop my rig(2x15&2x10 both roadready;stands aprox. 6 feet tall). after I stopped flippin'out I checked out the amp and it was fine(much to my relief).she's a keeper!!!!

8. Yipes! My well intentioned drummer pal face planted my entire RR stack with my 400+ perched atop flat onto the concrete. I just about had a heart attack but you know, after replacing the power tubes, the amp worked like a dream?! Great gear, no doubt.

9. oh yea,tough as nails...but we should'nt make a habbit of testing that toughness:)

10. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    MESA! MESA! MESA!

Good Morning! Rise & Shine!
    I LOVE MESA! Yes I do-
    I had a WalkAbout, essentially the same concept as the 360/600, w/out some bells&whistles.
    Man, I am sorry I chose to sell it to cull my herd, but I can always get another!
    Plug & Play is exactly right-Easy to dial the tone right in-I had a little "scratching" from the knobs, but it wasn't the pot, it's actually from the 12AXA7's I understand- (2 of 'em- gotta love it! Eat my banana, WT-400, made in wherever!!) Just kidding love Eden)!!!
    Anyway, M-Pulse/Mesa= Good Gear, YES!

Oh, BTW-Feel not sorry for me for no longer having
    my WalkAbout...
    I got a BUSTER! I got a BUSTER! 2x10 w/ A DIESEL
    15" Cab (repeat)--
    200 Tube Watts of vintage thick Mesa TONE!
    Now get outta bed!!!!!:D

11. Dang pal...how much coffee do you suck back in the morning anyhow? Yipes!
    :D

12. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hey Listen Mad-
    I had a $30 (US) bar tab (meaning free drinks) last night-very generous of the club owner-and I only had (2) Yukon Jacks-so don't you be goin' off topic on me "cause I share the care about Mesa!!! Phhhhbbbbt!;)

13. Still ridin' that wave huh...?
    ;)

14. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    YEP!

I ( err, I mean "we" of course)
    KILLED IT!
    Peace!:cool:

15. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    I have a 600 and so far I'm pretty happy with it, A great amp for R&B, you can pull some deeeep stuff with that amp but I don't have it set right for the stuff I play yet, I guess I just suck a tone sculpting. something always sounds wrong to me. and the knobs are deffinitly high quality, mine are brushed aluminum or something like that. Great amp, I say go for the 360.. I bought the 600 cause I have to compete with 2 Dual Rectifiers.:p

16. SAMV>>DUDE!!!! 2 dual rec's!!!!! in a R&B group????? what does R&B stand for Rip'em-N-Burn'em?!...what are you doin' with tone controlls??just askin' because I run mine pretty much flat(3 band:bass@ 12-2 o'clock-mid@11-1 o'clock-hi's@12-2 o'clock) and I barley ever use the semi-para eq.(unless I set up a completly different sound or have it set-up for a different bass)and the soud is great.I find that the 3 band is enough for most situations...maybe I can help if you would go into more detail...how's your eq. set? what cabs(2x10?4x10?1x15?)what bass(es),what is it doin (or not) for ya??....sorry...your NOT in a R&B group....I just realized that when I cliked your link...but the offer still stands for the eq.help..

17. I have had my 360 since march and am very pleased with the versatility of the tone..The longer I play it, the more it seems to "settle in".I have always been a tube guy, but the balance I can acheive between vintage and modern tones is very pleasing to me..I have it paired with a mesa road ready 1x15 and an aguilar 2x10, it sounds great!! Would very much recommend it!!

18. YES.."settle in" is a good way to put it.....but I think it's your ear thats settling in(at least in my case it was)...but your right about the "modern/vintage tone.I too use Mesa rd.rdy. 2x15 & 2x10 cabs and this thing kicks butt!!

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    BTW, The mid knob is a passive control which adds no boost, so to set the amp flat its actually:

Bass= 12:00
    Mid= Full on
    Trebble= 12:00

Just letting you know.

Oh and if you are the kind of guy that usually boost his mids, no need to worry, you have the Para- Eq for that.

Peace
    Nick