NEW MESA TT 800 AMP. OH. MY. GOD.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kijuer, Jun 8, 2020.

1. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    lol. A USB port makes it a miss for you?

I don’t think I’ve ever purchased an amp based on the fact it does or doesn’t have a USB port. To each there own thou right?

MCF, LP Freak, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.
  2. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    I have a couple GB heads as well- sound great, but I've had some reliability issues compared to other brands I've owned (won't dive into details on that here). I understand the concepts of cost vs. retail and what goes along with it. IMO, the USB standards move enough that, unless the port was virtually free and unbreakable, it would be something that has more potential to decrease reliability and go obsolete relative to the value it provides. If you've got people who appreciate and use it, that's great. Makes me think of the iAmp head that had the built-in tuner (which wasn't very accurate on the one I sampled), a feature that was added as a convenience, but the execution wasn't great.

I'm sure the amp sounds great - It does in the demo. I have just come to rely on parallel signal paths to add drive when I want it without losing the underlying punchy note definition. If I come across one in person, I'll give it a listen. If I can approximate the tone of a Bass 400 into a 2x15 without carrying 50 pounds of racked amp that costs a couple hundred bucks for tubes every few years, that's a win.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm gonna guess you're in the minority. That's two strange reasons for not buying an amp. Granted, you buy what you like. There are all kinds of reasons for not buying an amp. Among them, those are strange.

DJ Bebop, lermgalieu and AB Nate like this.
  4. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Guilty as charged. I use and love the usb capability. Very convenient to setup a pedal or three on top of the amp as I do with minimal hassle. Charging a device from my amp is just not in my game plan. I dont loose sleep over the fact that it will someday be obsolete for some purpose. :) Those 2 channels are useful for me as well. They are different and sometimes the room or my basses call for the voicing or capabilities of 1 over the other.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Note that is does charge devices (including tablets), just that it takes longer.

The USB power port doesn’t affect reliability, it’s fully protected.

MCF, Rich67 and DJ Bebop like this.
  6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    My guess is that it will feel like a lot less of a "miss for you" when you actually get a chance to play it. I know I may be in the minority here, but my first and most heavily weighted factor when choosing an amp is how it sounds with my bass plugged directly into the input. Obviously its performance that way might be a total fail for players who will judge its sound with pedal boards the size of a football field plugged in or those who need parallel and series effect loops, etc.

The TT includes a number of frequently asked for "nice to have" user features with the most requested functionality (especially those on the back panel)...the majority of which I rarely use except the variable HPF and DI out. However, my point is that the head was voiced and provided with a more than sufficient basic feature set that allowed it to hit a performance target that works for me. Those other cool features had to fit within that design trade space which included a palatable price point. Once again I imagine I am in the minority at least on TB, but the rear panel feature set on the D-800 works fine for virtually all my use cases.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 10:57 AM
    MCF, Avalon5, agedhorse and 5 others like this.
  7. Treblefree

Treblefree

Apr 8, 2016
    Upstate, SC
    I don't like it because it doesn't have HDMI. I could never buy an amp without HDMI. C'mon people. Plus, there's obviously no tech support on TB to help us understand this amp.

Obviously JK.

MCF, two fingers, agedhorse and 4 others like this.
  8. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    ...you know while this wasn't a big deal for me years ago, I have to admit becoming a bit spoiled by having real-time access to the designers and factory folks for the gear I own or am considering buying. I'm obviously a little bit biased towards Mesa in this regard, but many of the big name and even private name/boutique manufacturers have all been ready to help out when we have a problem or question. Maybe it's just Trebelfree and myself, but I suspect many TB folks find access to the industry leaders a real bonus feature that comes with ownership of certain products.

s_wood, 4StringMadness, MCF and 9 others like this.
  9. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Without a doubt. I had an issue with a defect pot and Andy himself made sure I was taken care of. Where I purchased the amp doesn’t have good tech support unfortunately and the better option was doing the repair myself.

Not ever have I ever expected that on anything I have purchased. I know there is a lot of great support by companies that sell quality gear. I’ve seen Jim bergantino get involved on his equipment, Sheldon dingwall and a few others. It’s nice to play in an industry and with equipment that has great people with great integrity and values.

MCF, DJ Bebop, Treblefree and 2 others like this.
  10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    Also….
    (Not to make his ears burn, But…) @agedhorse is a somewhat unique asset in this community. He has been around providing direct support, even in cases where he had to go out of his way to do so, for the better part of the past 20 years. In the case of this particular product, he sought out and paid careful attention, not just to solicited feedback, but also to more general posting, regarding aspects that players were looking for in an amp in this category.

The result is nothing less than spectacular. And, even though I feel like I could practically back the car up over it and it would still work, I also know that there is unquestioned and completely reliable support. Doesn’t get much better than that.

s_wood, MCF, Avalon5 and 6 others like this.
  11. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Funny you mentioned Jim Bergantino as he personally talked to me for quite a while and helped inform/guide my decision on which of his cabs would work best for my needs. His advice was invaluable and in the end, right on target! Duke at AudoKinesis is another person like that who will spend time with you to help you make a good choice that in the end may not be to buy one of his products.

I could cite other specific examples of my own, but I think we all have a story or two that sounds very much the same. These are folks and companies that care about and listen to their customers, and do a lot more than write that as slogan on a webpage!

DJ Bebop, Treblefree and AB Nate like this.
  12. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'll first say that I could not agree more and Andy's initial instinct is always to help educate and problem solve, not sell somebody something. I have learned more about the technical aspects of bass products from him than I even knew there was to learn. He is a true expert resource that would not come cheap if we had to pay going rate consulting fees to have him on call - and we get that for free on TB.

Two other places where IME Andy distinguishes himself is that he genuinely prefers someone buy another product that better suits their needs than buy one of his designs and be frustrated or disappointed. He also gets more of a voice in his new designs than I suspect many big company engineers might because he is respected as someone who is in touch with the user community. I believe both Mesa and TB reap the benefits here...I know as a Mesa customer I do!

MCF, Avalon5, 5StringPocket and 12 others like this.
  13. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Me

Well, considering this style of USB was first released in 1996 and is still universally used, I'm going to go ahead and ignore this comment. If there was a USB 3.0 port on the back I might get a little grumpy, because I, like many people, have lots of USB 1/2 cords for various things. USB 3.0 only on some. And for the useful applications of this port, it's the right choice. I use it to power a portable recorder, and sometimes a little light.

agedhorse and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. 2021-bugatti-chiron-pur-sport-104-1614922609.jpg

I was looking at one of these but after finding out it includes an obsolete level of USB charging port, it's a hard pass for me :)

15. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    I can also say I have zero interest in mixing the two channels. It's kinda the opposite of why I bought the TT.

MCF, agedhorse and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. Plus the fact that the designer came on here, right here on TB and ASKED US, what kinda features you'd like in an amp? Or what did you like/disliked about the Walkabout? Oh okay, I'll get on that and poof, we had new amps. You don't get that level of service or listening ear across the entire industry, of course, imho :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 12:21 PM
    MCF, Rich67, agedhorse and 1 other person like this.
  17. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I will say mixing the 2 channels on the shuttle max yields great results but… it was designed that way.

I also enjoyed the TT having 2 separate, distinctive voices. Different applications for different tools

MCF, Al Kraft, DJ Bebop and 1 other person like this.
  18. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Exactly. I'm not saying anyone is WRONG to want to mix channels, just that it's not why I bought this amp, and it's not how classic 2-channel amps are designed.

Al Kraft, AB Nate and DJ Bebop like this.
  19. I've ordered the TT800 specifically for the 2 separate channels. I play in 2 different style bands. 70's Glam rock where all tube amps were common and the other 70's punk band were transistor amps were used more in UK. Altho i haven't had a chance to try the TT800 i based my decision on various reviews and advice from others who already have the amp both on TB and Basschat in UK.
    I'm hoping the Boogie channel will give me the tube tone i need for the Glam band and the SW channel for the transistor amp tone with the punk band.
    Also in the Glam band i occasionally like a bit of edge / overdrive on the tone and this will give me a one button change-over rather than having to use pedals or adjust the amp settings for certain songs.
    As long as i get that Mesa warmth and depth of tone i'll be happy and able to tweak things to get what i want/need
    Dave

20. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

I had a 2 channel amp (GR Bass Dual 800) that you could mix/cascade the two channels. It had a USB port in the back. FireWire.
    Sold it and kept the TT800.
    I don’t always use the USB port in the back of the TT, but when I need to charge up my wireless transmitter or use my USB light, I use the one on the back of the TT.

AB Nate likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021