NEW MESA TT 800 AMP. OH. MY. GOD.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kijuer, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Well after owning this amp for over a year I can honestly say that I am pretty disappointed with it now.

Not only is the USB port outdated, it is also lacking Bluetooth and 5G connectivity. A serious lack of forward thinking if you ask me. :smug:

MCF, DrThumpenstein, Rich67 and 4 others like this.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I wish that some of the other designers would have stuck around, but while some didn't have the personality, most decided that the drama and disrespect (especially a few years back) just wasn't worth the grief. That's our loss IMO.

Coming from the pro audio touring industry, I learned a long time ago how to roll with those you may not care for but have to get along with. I survived 40 years in that world (while also designing products for pro audio and bass guitar), so I must be doing something ok... ;)

I appreciate this. At this point in my career, with the level of sophistication of both the gear and the players, I can't see how a designer can develop really new features and applications rather than just re-hash the same old designs without serious interaction with the payers that that type of product is intended for. If I was designing a 50 watt practice combo, I might not need the help and insight, but that's not what I am doing. I am trying to push the industry forward the bast way that I know how. To do that, I absolutely need help and the insight of many perspectives.

Nothing truly new gets designed in a vacuum, the amount of time spent hashing and rehashing just the concepts and how best they might apply to different players, different music styles, and even different regions of the world in order to be the most useful to the greatest number of players. I never try to design a product for all players, it's simply not possible so I don't pretend that it is.

Even writing owner's manuals so that they are player friendly and "real world useful" is something that's a lot more difficult to do that it appears. A few years ago, I approached members Al Kraft and the late Chef to see if they might be interested in participating in an experiment just to see if I could take the concept of owner's manuals to the next level. Chef had a long career in journalism and TV production, Al has a (wicked) strong engineering and engineering management background, a seemingly unusual team for writing owner's manuals. All three of us have strong (yet different and real world) communication skills, but together and with a lot of effort we were able to come up with results than none of us on our own were capable of. The first manual written this was was the WD-800 manual, followed up by the TT-800 manual and there's a third manual for a yet to be released product (that was also designed with heavy input from TB members).

I am ALWAYS listening to what's being talked about, and I assume that other designers are here lurking, doing some of the same. It's no different to still being on tour, listening to the talk around the table at catering, or waiting for the show to start after doors. It's part of the "success environment".

s_wood, 4StringMadness, MCF and 26 others like this.
  3. I'm glad my little post simulated a response from you! :)
    We need to hear this collectively once in a while on your process to get to where we are at.
    And I believe a little breaking news slipped out. Nice!
    :)

That WD-800 manual was a thing of beauty.
    Thanks to you, Al and the great Chef in the sky.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 2:16 PM
    MCF, Piranha, DrThumpenstein and 9 others like this.
  4. So is the Subway channel on the TT more like a D-800+ with a tube in the front end?

projectapollo, Rich67 and dmccombe7 like this.
  5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, for the most part.

MCF, Avalon5, Rich67 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    This would sound exactly right in that I'm a minute away from pulling the trigger on a TT-800. Historically it seems by the time I'm ready, (with funding) to buy the latest whatever, the newest better version is released shortly there after...
    OTOH, I'm just really grateful to be able to buy such high quality light weight gear at all.

MCF, Treblefree, smogg and 5 others like this.
  7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Just different versions, not necessarily better or worse.

MCF, SJan3, Al Kraft and 2 others like this.
  8. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    That's what I hoped and assumed.
    Andy with Covid and supply chain issues, do you guys think this new piece of gear will be in stores in the next 6 months?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. Is there any interest in going the opposite direction of the tube feel amps from Mesa? More low noise floor, quick, sterile? Or has that thing been done to death? No reason, just asking :)

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I really don't know, but with what I am seeing right now it's likely to be farther out.

I'm not convinced that players are looking for this. The D-800/800+ started out close to this direction and then we went more tubey, still pondering future products.

MCF, Al Kraft, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  11. Oh don't get me wrong, love what has been done so far! :thumbsup:

DrThumpenstein and agedhorse like this.
  12. Rich67

Rich67 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    North of Austin, TX
    Pardon the mess, but in all this USB talk, it hit me... I can use my Boogie head to charge up/top off my Volto power supply!
    20211012_192244.jpg

jwindham, agedhorse and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    And I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Many of us do. And thanks for having the thick skin to withstand those who don't.

I was pretty much going to get SOMETHING Sibway simply to support you. I was just biding my time to see what stuck. When tue TT dropped it was a no brained for me. And I can honestly say that it lived up to the hype.... which is saying something. There was a LOT of hype!

The bar was set high for the TT and it cleared the bar. The pleasant surprise was the Subway 115. I knew it would he a good cab. I had no idea how good it truly was until I spent some time with it.

Now.... about this not yet released product for which the manual is already written.....

:cool:

Seriously, thank you for including us in the process. That alone has enhanced the ownership experience for me. And thank you can't be said often enough for your other contributions to the community at large here.

MCF, Treblefree, agedhorse and 6 others like this.
  14. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    @agedhorse I can assure you NONE of us missed the reference to an unreleased product. :hyper:

15. The dynamic control, advancement in the damping over the models and that symmetry control are dope :thumbsup:
    075cf736386e0ed9248d7ce77f1cb7d6.jpg

agedhorse likes this.
  16. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    ...and the effect of having a power amp with a damping factor in the ballpark of the (low to) medium setting of the WD. Between the tube preamp and this different DF I find the TT's SW channel to be more harmonically rich with a bit smoother/softer edge to the notes. While it is still quick and articulate, the notes just feel a little warmer to me and there is a hint of what I describe as characteristic tube amp give to them.

Having a stark Boogie channel to SW channel difference (think tube warm compared to SS sterile) wouldn't have been the right answer for this product IMO. I really like how you can go from the vintage 400/400+ kind of feel to a SW sound without it being in your face night and day. I suspect most people who would be drawn to the TT for the Boogie channel will like the SW channel flavor they get on this model.

It also follows in Andy's tradition of offering us something new/different with each subsequent version. There was no simple add on of an existing SW product design with the TT.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 8:50 AM
  17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Yes, and it’s not going to become obsolete for this purpose either plus it’s a software/firmware update free feature too.

MCF, dmccombe7, Jazzdogg and 5 others like this.
  18. Rich67

Rich67 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    North of Austin, TX
    I think you should consider calling Boogie HQ "The Batcave".

DJ Bebop and agedhorse like this.
  19. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Personally, I'm still holding out for the TTT801 (three preamp sections, 801 watts of pure fury).

20. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring a spinning, shimmery aquasphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    WCD-1200: 2-channel head w/preamps based on Walkabout and Carbine, mated to class-D 1200-watt power section

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021