NEW MESA TT 800 AMP. OH. MY. GOD.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kijuer, Jun 8, 2020.

1. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    I’m in

2. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Well since there is already a Carbine inspired amp (D800+), a Walkabout inspired amp (WD800) and a Bass 400 inspired amp (TT800) I figure the next logical progression could be a Subway PD800.

A lunchbox designed amp inspired by the Prodigy with a Class D power section and a tube pre. Oh yeah, can't forget about the blue LED lighting up the interior of the amp. Just a thought.

3. projectapollo

projectapollo Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    TT800 Incoming from Bass Central......going up against my WD800.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 5:01 PM
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The D-800/800+ have similarities to some of the Carbine voicings but not the "rip your head off aggressive" ones.

jastacey, staccatogrowl, MCF and 2 others like this.
  5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I describe the SW's compared to the Carbines as more sophisticated/polite sounding especially up top while still being able to bring some attitude when you want to rock. IMO the biggest similarities are quickness/tightness of the notes, a clean/crisp edge to the notes, and good note to note articulation that stays distinct in a busy mix.

6. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

That would be something.

7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    While we are imagineering….

A Boogie Channel preamp/DI with 9V jacks to go on a pedal board would be a fairly instantaneous “buy” decision for me.

8. projectapollo

projectapollo Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    I always thought a Walkabout Scout update could be popular. A Subway 112 cab adapted with a built in D800 could be really light weight, grab and go combo, and easily extended with the other Subway cabs. A real gateway drug to the rest of the Mesa goodness.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    We looked at this, but in order to support 400 watts RMS into 8 ohms and meet player expectations, it would have to be as large as the Subway 112 with the same driver and the cost would likely be about the same as the head plus cabinet. Based on comments here on TB, that would be too expensive for most players (ie. a $1600 112 combo, a $2000 210 combo), and it would also take away from some of the mix and match opportunities that many players find appealing.

This doesn't mean that we wouldn't consider a smaller combo, but that's for a future discussion.

Al Kraft, DJ Bebop and Jim C like this.
  10. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I love big power for clean headroom as much as the next guy, but I don't ever see the need to have more than 800 watts RMS. If I need more stage volume I would prefer pro side fills or just more bass cabinets / drivers.

11. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring a spinning, shimmery aquasphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Some like their Camaros with 2.0-liter turbo 4s. Others prefer 6.2-liter supercharged V8s. Glad you're happy with current offerings. Me? Happy just dreamin' of the WCD-1200

Al Kraft, agedhorse and DJ Bebop like this.
  12. azG3Xnmu6o69JMh2pvJhdC.jpg
    You're going to need a bigger speaker cabinet!

:)

Al Kraft, ahc, Rich67 and 3 others like this.
  13. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    You only know what you know!
    I have been an Ampeg fan and still own an SVT, two Ampeg tube rackmount pre amps (now with a CA6 power amp). I also like the SWR SM series, Ashdown ABM, and a GK MBF800. All great pro amps that can play loud, clear, and warm.
    Had a Mesa WA for many years but not enough clean power for all gigs.

Thanks to my pal Tim @bonin in the boneyard for such a fair deal on a TT800, I now understand why there have been 100's of thousands of raving posts about the Subway series. This is by far the best featherweight amp I've ever played.
    After about 1 1/2 hours of testing (the Ampeg selector switch really helps with this), it is clear that the TT800 is at the top of the list and tied with the SVT-CL (which is far too heavy for my 63 year old back to move to bar gigs). I REALLY like the Boogie channel for a full tube amp feel and having the Subway channel will be super helpful for fine tone sculpting and rooms with problems.

Why haven't we had bass amps with two discrete voices before this?
    Highly recommended and after a quick test, it is really clear why they are so expensive. They are worth it!

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

14. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Really glad you decided to go for it Jim...as you know, I was pretty sure you were going like it.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021