New Mesa Walkabout!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Sep 11, 2002.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am playing more Latin and Funk tunes now, and the Clarus cannot cut it in these situations, so I ended up selling it, and buying a Mesa Walkabout!
    It is a great sounding head! It is the loudest sounding head I have owned(it crushes the Aguilar DB359, not in all respects though!). It is extremely verstatile, and can cover a wide variety of tones easily.

I don't think it sounds like an Eden WT300 at all. It has the same setup(almost) on the front, but it doesn't have as prominent a low midrange as the Eden. I can EQ it to sound that way though. The semi parametric is wonderful for adjusting to room acoustics, and I can add a sick amount of low end with it's 15 db boost!

Absolutely a great head. It looks good, sounds good, and weighs nothing!:D The only thing it is missing is a Speakon output jack.
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I agree about the Speakon jack, though. I'm amazed at how good the Walkabout sounds without any twiddling of knobs. And, the fact that it weighs 13 lbs still amuses me to no end.

Sounds almost as good as my DB750 at about 1/4 the weight.

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hey, thought you got one a few months ago!!:D
    Anyway, congrats, the WalkAbout IMO is under-rated & under-appreciated- Mesa made a great little product, very versatile, sounds GREAT,lots of headroom, volume, & TONE!!
    I'll bet it sounds sweet on top of that Aggie too!

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey Bassmonkeee, check this out!!:D The EA isn't efficient enough to use with the Aguilar though. Still, a cool setup!

I am really loving this amplifier. It sounds really good. I can't believe how much low end it can produce. Amazing!
  5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Or, something.

SO, you don't think the EA and Aggie sound good paired together? I've used mine at a couple of gigs so far, and think the EA adds just punch and presence to the thickness of the Aggie 1x12.

I've got another gig tomorrow night where I'll be using this setup. We'll see how it goes.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool amp. Congrats.

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have been playing around with it a bit, and you are right, the EA adds presence to the Aguilar. However, my VL108 has is only 96db sens., while the Aguilar is 100db. It doesn't add a lot of volume to the sound, but it does add presence.
  8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm sure the difference is more noticible with the 1x12 than with the 2x10, too.

I could get plenty of volume with the 1x12, but it wasn't very clear in the main room I gig in. I wasn't so much looking for more volume as I was some more clarity.

But, your 2 10" speakers move a lot faster than my 1 12" speaker, so I greatly benefit from the 1x8" in adding definition without breaking the walls down at this restaurant (I'm still amazed at how much bottom the 1x12 has).
  9. I'm in luv with the tone, power, versatility, and mobility of this little rig.

Let me know how your EA works out at your next gig. I used to have a looong list of cabs to add to my present setup but ineficiency, cost, and availability have pretty much narrowed it down to a second Aggie 1x12, a Bergi 1x12 or an AE 1x10 (or 1x8?).
  10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I played through a Walkabout once and I really liked it except for the fact that the fan was pretty noisy and stayed on continuously. I often play in small rooms with acoustic instruments and fan noise drives me crazy. What's the story on the Walkabout? Plus I'm curious about the sound of the passive mid eq and the fx loop-the loop in the Mesa Bass 400 I had was really touchy.
  11. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Ajbassking and Bassmonkee:

I have an EA cxl112 and a Walter Woods ultra high and was toying with the idea of adding an Aguilar for the thickness/fat reason. The Cxl112 has sensitivity of 103db and the Aguilar GS112 has sensitivity of 102db (according to the Aguilar website) so they would probably be well paired.

How do you guys like the interaction of the two cabs soundwise? Do they complement each other?

I'm either going to buy another Cxl 112 as my big rig or an Aguilar or Bergie. The problem with the Bergie is the sensitivity is only 96db. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im thinking of getting one of those to put on top of my Eden 210ST.

Im kinda stuck between that and an Eden head.

They are really killer little beasts.

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I used the effects loop for the first time a couple of days ago with a US Bassballs. Worked fine. I'm going to hook up my Boomerang when I finally get this room set up the way I want it, so I'll let you know.

I haven't really had a problem with the fan. I play it pretty quietly at home, and I can barely hear it in a 12x12 room. In the restaurant that I play in, I can't hear it at all--even when I am playing quiet solos over a brushed snare. I wouldn't worry about it.

I love the passive mid. It's the only knob I really use. I have been playing with it on about 4, and it just fills the sound up nicely.

Again, I'm playing with undistorted guitar at 6 1/2 watts, and a drummer I've actually had to tell, "Play louder," so my situation could be fairly unique. :D
  14. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Congrats, AJ!
    I like that Mesa, too. But what do you mean with "...the Clarus just can't cut it..."?

Too low power? Too flat response? Too clear tone? :confused:
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

wassup with the Mesa/Aggie crew?

is this a new secret forum handshake i dont know about? ;)

btw, sweet rigs everyone. i love the whole 1x8/1x10 pairings with the Aggie. seems like it'd be a killer small combo rig.
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    from what i've tried, i can hear how the EQ isnt as drastic for certain situations when you need to cut your way thru. plenty of power, but the EQ sorta doesnt help in sculpting. also, it didnt really sound all that cool for electrics, but it made the piezo in a Kidd EUB sound killer.

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Clarus is a fabulous amplifier, but I was cranking it just to cut through the band. I do not have to push the Mesa at all. It can get sickeningly loud! The Clarus did sound better with the Upright though. I have been playing mostly electric this summer.
  18. Bassmonkeee, this reply is for you. So now that you've had the EA paired with the Aggie for awhile:

Do you still like it?

Does it tonally ADD to the Aggie or does it fight it?

Do the 10's add to the quickness?

Is there ANY real increase in volume?

Inquiring mind want to know... :D
  19. I think I've found a new ad campain for the Mesa Walkabout and Fender Jazzes.

"2 out of 3 TB'er prefer a Sunburst Jazz with their Walkabouts....shouldn't you?"

I guess it's time to go to the local Mesa dealer and see what's up w/ the walkabout. No way I will be getting another head right now, but I like to stay informed.
  20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got another gig with the combo tonight, so I'll let you know.

At home, I've been using the 1x8 with the Walkabout, and it sounds great. I'll reply tomorrow with a more in depth review of how the rig sounds live.