1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Meshuggah - Obzen.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Sweet! I just picked it up at my local music emporium. I haven't made it all the way through, but so far I'm really impressed. They're using real drums again, and playing actual riffs rather than just grooves. It seems that this album is borderline catchy. The first track (Combustion) could be a hit single in an alternate universe.

You can even hear the bass every rare once in a while. Pretty cool.

I'm seeing these guys open for Ministry at the House of Blues in April. Two of my favorite bands in the world, on the same stage! Woot.

Meshuggah is the best metal band on the plant. If you disagree, you must obviously have a different opinion than I.

2. Just wait till you get to "Bleed". Pure metal-pound-your-face-in-riffage.

Love the album.

3. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I have my copy on order, and it's in the mail, I as well will be seeing them open for Ministry, I think it's a strange pairing if you ask me.
    Meshuggah is one of the best if not most important metal band to date.
    I saw them years ago when they were touring for Destroy Erase Improve, they were incredible, I think they were opening for Slayer, we were so blown away we decided to go home after Meshuggah.

4. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    obZen is great, so far I am very pleased with it. You're right about the first track. I read an article on the album in the latest Decibel, and they were saying how they intended that song to be that much more straight-forward than we were typically used to hearing from them. They also said that it was one of the hardest to pull off in the studio! I guess they're too used to their polyrhythms and all that.

I cannot wait to see them again. I saw them once back probably almost 10 years ago, with I believe System of a Down.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I haven't listened to much Meshuggah - I have an early album and also Chaosphere, but they are on very low rotation. So far I think this album is a pretty solid and listenable effort. I will wait till a few more listens through to cast judgement, but not too shabby.

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    It's on my list of things to pick up, and I've only heard good things.

7. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    What's a meshugga?

8. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    In Yiddish it means "crazy."

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Here's what The Onion has to say about it:

10. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    It is so rare that anyone who writes for the Onion praises the metal.

Obzen is growing on me quite a bit, after first being kind of neutral about it. I like that.

11. WOOOOOO for going to see meshuggah and ministry at once so I'm stoked and obzen is pretty rippin man good choice

12. I think Meshuggah has made a more direct and straight cd this time around. My personal favs are nothing and catch 33 so I think this one is a step down for them. Its not bad but I want more grooves and more complex riffing. I understand why they wanted to do an album like this though. It is nice with real drums fro a change. It gives some more dynamics to the songs.

All Meshuggah albums I have heard has VERY audible bass. This includes "destroy erase improve", "chaosphere", "nothing", "catch 33" and the new album "ObZen". Meshuggah is one of those extreme metal bands where I can always hear the bass loud and clear in direct contrast to stuff like Nile (good band but not a whole lot of bass).

13. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    I hope they ain't going "mainstream media prostitutes". I dubt it, but money is a magical thing.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I think they'd have to make some MAJOR changes to their sound if they are going to be considered mainstream at any point.

They are one of those bands that manage to sound different album by album, but still maintain their original vibe.

15. I've been pretty interested in this band's music for a while, and I just got through Obzen last night in one extended blast session. I was very impressed.

I thought, though, that they had at some point switched to 8 string guitars and ditched the bass altogether...? I don't remember where I read it, but I'm pretty sure that I saw that in a magazine at some point.

16. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    Dick Lovgren has played with them for a little while now. I noticed he thanked Warwick basses in the credits of "Obzen." Does anyone know his setup?

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    He's using a black Warwick Dolphin. I imagine that he's using a Line 6 POD, since the rest of the band is using Line 6 stuff live with no amps.

18. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    I think for at least one album there was no bass player, probably when they first got the 8 strings.

19. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I'm pretty sure the bassist is just a touring player, though I could be wrong with that.

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Dick Lovgren is a full time member, and has been with them since 2001.