Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Meshuggah out today (NOTHING)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Just a heads up to all Meshuggah fans, the album NOTHING came out today (in the states anyway, probably been out since Feb. everywhere else). Everybody who'd care probably already has a copy, but just in case.

2. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Your like the boy who cried wolf very sarcastically. I can never tell when your serious or just being a smug bastard.

3. No, I dig Meshuggah. Check my profile--I'm a math-rocker.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, but now with those eyebrows I'm wondering, is that profile for real, or is he laughing at me behind his monitor.....hmmm. Anyway, I've only had one listen, but so far I'm very happy with it.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

OK, I guess I am falling behind in rock music genres. What is math rock and what is bully rock?

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    It's a good album,,, me likes..........

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, they really are not anything like Botch, Dillinger, Himsa, that type of thing. Way more metal, cool changes and off beat riffs give them the mathy credit, I think. I would say they are not from the same tree, but maybe they are in the same grove?

8. Every Meshuggah's album is a complete metal masterpiece to me, i really enjoy listening "Destroy, Erase, Improve", "Constradictions Collapse" and "Chaosphere"... that's REAL METAL, KIDS!

Im pretty sure that "Nothing" will draw a big smile in all the Meshuggah fans face.

BTW... If you never heard nothing about Meshuggah...you better open a file-sharing client and search for some songs !! :eek:

Best Album? Contradictions Collapse to me.

EBP

9. I think Meshuggah gets its math cred from songs like "Beneath," where the guitars and bass are pounding away in a 3/8 feel under the verse vocals while the drums and vocals are in 4/4.

10. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    I saw meshugah at ozzfest and they rocked! I cant wait to get that cd.

11. I haven't seen it around, but that's because I haven't been into town lately to the big stores, I've just been stuck in my backwater town. Even if I saw it tomorrow, I'd still be unable to afford it. I bought 3 CD's in two days, Superjoint Ritual, Fear Factory's Concrete and Raging Speedhorn's 'We Will Be Dead Tomorrow'. All great discs, but I still want that Meshuggah CD. I'll get it when I go to London in a week.

12. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    deffinatly some good stuff, me friend had downloaded track 6 and 10 (really slow song and interlude thing don't know the names yet) off the internet prior to the release so we were a little worried at first but once I got the album as soon as the band came in I knew everything was all good. I really am liking the new album it grows on me more and more. I have to have a tie for best album with Destroy Erase Improve and Chaosphere. Both are Incedible albums so I can't decide. One more thing abot Nothing I personally think the 8 strings might be a little too low they kinda sound like my bass with distortion but its all good.

BTW. Does anyone know how I could get a simaler tone to Peter's on Contridictions Collapse, (clean or distorted) cuz I was listening to that today and I spent the last couple hours trying to get something like it.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    None of the local record/CD whores...er, stores have it. It's killing me!

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

You need to move! ;)

15. My brother heard one song last night on radio and he loved it but I ain't heard NOTHING yet...
    Since I live in sweden it shouldn't be any problems finding it.:)

16. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    They're a little too heavy for me. I read an article on them in Guitar World in which they went into great detail about both guitarists' rigs.:confused: Totally crazy!!! There's is a lot of shred value to their music and I do feel that they are technically superior to a lot of metal bands out there.

17. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Well, Meshuggah opens for Tool in Edmonton on October 6, and I'm going! Are they any good live? I never heard the name before this. But maybe I'll download a few tracks.

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    No problem!

19. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    "Math Rock
    Take the intricacy and complexity of classic weirdo hard rock bands like Rush and Voivod, then add some of punk's hyperspasmodic schizophrenia, and you'll have a legitimate math rock contender. Math rock bands take pleasure in being erratic and unpredictable, often experimenting with peculiar tempos and jazz-derived rhythms while keeping the rock hard and aggressive all the while. Their lyrics tend to be as cerebral and expertly designed as their songs. These bands are rock's architects of the future, recrafting and reinventing the genre's tired song structures. "

ie, 311ish

bully rock, i take it, is essentially 80s hair band revival with a technological upgrade, aiming more for a metallica sound sans complexity.

that should bring out an answer if my speculation is wrong.

my answer is: they're yet more forms of rock so formulaic that they beg for a genre of their own so kids can pose and nitpick over theoretically philosophical discourse =)