New metal band - Trivium

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Schwinn, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey I just recently discovered this band. I don't have any of their CDs yet. They have a new album called "Ascendancy" which is due out soon. I'm going to buy it for sure.

These guys are heavy, melodic, and actually have real guitar solos (ahh days of old). Kind of a combo of Gothenburg, hardcore metal, and classic metal...IMO, but I need to get the album before I say more...check them out.
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    +1, these guys kick ass.
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I have this album - they're from right near me actually. We got it at the studio, oh, I dunno, two-three weeks ago. It absolutly rocks. A serious good band!

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I heard about them from some Guitar mag that was all over them, calling them the saviors of music. Seems that happens every year or so though. :D

The single I heard on Music Choice sounded great to me.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was reccommended them sometime in August from my friend Zoran, (he's Croatian, I shouldn't hold that against him, BUT!) and I dig them well enough. I like the vocals especially (that sort of semi-distorted roar), and they're solid otherwise.
  6. FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Yeah theyre great.

Apparently they're all in the 18 - 21 age bracket aswell. Nice.
  7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I was off on a pirating and tangent and came across Trivium - Like Like to the, what a great song/video. I thank my intuition for telling me to download it. I have the first album they put out, and I guess they have a new one now? The guys gages are pretty cool as well.
  8. ********* Awesome band, Im rockin Ascendancy right now. Definitely some tight musicianship going on here. Reminds me of a cross between Megadeth and Black Flag.
  9. Just another one of them bands with great potential who insist on the 'emotional' choruses, seemingly designed to appeal to metal kids who wouldn't know Carcass if it bit them on the arse. :scowl:
    'But he's only 18!' So?

Perhaps, at 24, I am turning into my Father...
    I'm off to listen to some Strapping Young Lad. :bassist:
  10. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'm listening to "Ascendancy" right now. First time I heard this album I thought it was pretty good, but now the more I listen to it the more I like it. I'm looking foward to seeing these guys on the Ozzfest this year.
  11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Dude, good is good. I don't care if their music has the occasional "singalong chorus". If I want brutality I'll listen to Converge. If I want a band that I place in the same level of greatness as "Master of Puppets"-era Metallica; I'll listen to Trivium.
  12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  13. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I like catchy choruses in metal songs. That's why Soilwork is one of my favorite bands too!!!
  14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

I very much agree, the catchy chorus appeals to something in me. I like sheer brutality as well, I like technical wizardry (not wankery) but the singable chorus remains a favorite.
  15. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I hate to be the lone dissenter, but I feel that Trivium was a better band when they were simply a thrash band, not a metalcore band. Having experienced both incarnations of Trivium, I prefer the former.

Anyways, Capharnaum is lightyears ahead of Trivium. Perhaps that's not a fair assessment as they're different genres of metal, but whatever.
  16. rowan5978

Jul 12, 2007
    Just been searching the forum for "trivium" as they are my favourite band. Looking for threads to add my opinion to. As I've said they are my favourite band and main influence. Their progression throughout their last 3 albums is phenomenal, they've really matured as a band, despite their oldest member being about 25!
    Plus, I've met them and they are the nicest guys I've met, they came straight from a doing a set to meeting some fans backstage, and were very welcoming!
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Only heard the "single?" Don't know from what album or what it was called. Seemed Metallicaish for sure. I love catchy choruses, but this song had a very emo type chorus with the singer warbling in and out of key (in that on purpose way emo fashion).

On the basis of that song (which once again... not sure what it is), they do not get a second chance. Saviors or no.
  18. Trivium is weak metalcore that shouldn't be listened to anyone but tone deaf teenagers looking for a way to escape their meaningless existence and socially degrading circumstances, and failing. Failing hard. Thats streching how much exposure this band deserves.
  19. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    It seems a few people here have mistaken this band for being metal... they are not, Trivium are a mediocre boy band with guitars at best.
  20. I like Trivium but I hate how everyone insists on comparing them to Metallica. I understand they covered a few songs, and I understand they are influenced by Metallica but they are IMO in no way comparable to Metallica. The music just isn't the same. But as long as I don't compare them to metallica, I quite like them.