Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Michael Kelly acoustic!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlavaF, Jun 16, 2005.

1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I'm pretty excited today, not only is school over for the summer, but I got a new bass as well! It's a beautiful Michael Kelly Dragonfly fretless 5, and it sounds and plays great! Only problem is that there is a terrible dead spot on the 14th and 15th fret of the G string, but I will get that fixed a bit later on. I got a $100 discount, so it's all good :bassist:

And just to prove its existence...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And an updated family shot:

[​IMG]

:hyper:

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    That is beautiful man, sound clips!

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I will try to record an actual song with it in the next few weeks, and maybe I'll post it. :bassist:

4. If the dead spot is located between the 14th and 15th frets on your guitar, then the photo is not of your guitar. That is a fretless. Some people just have to be a smart ass, you know. I played one of the fretless Dragonfly models for about an hour a few weeks ago and I was so dazzled by the inlay that I didn't realize that it was fretless until after about 5 minutes. Gorgeous bass. Congratulations.

5. Very nice man, those fret inlays are just awesome.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Goregeous bass, but I don't like the idea of an inlay on a fretless personally. Enjoy!

7. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    yeah, there are some issues with buzzing when the string is pressed down directly on the inlay, but I plan to get it fixed when I get back from Ukraine in august. Also, the bass came with roundwounds :eek: so I better get my ass back to the store for some flatwounds, wouldn't want to destroy that beautiful inlay! :D

Best of all, I find locating the actual notes on this thing is a lot easier than on the Godin A5 I was looking at before this one. Plus it sounds so much better and louder than the Godin as well. Plugged in, this thing absolutely smokes!

8. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Good score man. It looks really nice.

If you don't mind me asking, where'd you pick that up? I saw a couple Michael Kelly's at Mother's downtown. I thought about playing a couple of them but I was running out of meter time fast. :( :D

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Twas at "Mother's downtown" :D They've got like 7 or 8 of them, and they had an acoustic 4 and 5. The 4 was totally screwed, so they flew it back to MK. And they gave their "other" faulty one to me :D

Regardless of the problems, it's a damn nice bass, well worth the $620!