1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Mick Jagger supergroup????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by powderfinger, May 31, 2011.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    (Rolling Stone) -- For the first time since the Rolling Stones formed nearly 50 years ago, Mick Jagger is part of a new band: Super Heavy -- featuring Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Damian Marley and Indian film composer A.R. Rahman.

Mick Jagger's supergroup: Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Damian Marley - CNN.com

Listen, I am a sucker for "supergroups"...
    *diclaimer, these are just my opinions below, folks...

Travelling Wilburys, The Highwaymen, Blind Faith, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young... all great ones...

Them Crooked Vultures, Damn Yankees, Oysterhead... all so so ones...

And then the plain bad ones... Zwan, Alterbridge..

So this new Supergroup, with Jagger... I cannot even possibly fathom this being a good idea, or something that is going to sound good (although hopefully I will be proved wrong).

This seems very lackluster to me. Besides Mick Jagger... we have...

Dave Stewart- ok, he was in the Eurthymics... um, ok.. isnt that like listening to a WHAM album, and deciding that you want Andrew Ridgley in your band?

Film Composer AR Rahman- Um.....

Joss Stone- Ok, Joss Stone... great vocalist. Will she or Mick be co-lead vocalists? If so, this might be interesting. Ive always enjoyed the dynamic of male/female lead vocals (ie Buckingham/Nicks).

Damien Marley- Bob Marley's son. Wow, a 3rd lead vocalist in the group. Maybe this is turing out to be a Travelling Wilbury's type sitation?

Ok, well we shall see what happens with this group. Does anyone actually play guitar in this band?

2. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Oh and hey, maybe Keith Richards can start a supergroup with Andrew Ridgley, India Arie, Ziggy Marley, and Stewart Copeland next.

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Slight digression: Anyone ever hear Keith Richards' supergroup from the late 1970s, the New Barbarians? Keith Richards & Ron Wood on guitars, Stanley Clarke (!) on bass, Zigaboo Modeliste on drums, Bobby Keys on sax, and somebody, maybe Ian Maclagan? on keys.

I think you can still buy a bootleg live album through Ron Wood's website. Never had the guts to spend money on what could be awesome...or awful.

Oh yeah, and "For the first time since the Rolling Stones formed nearly 50 years ago, Mick Jagger is part of a new band" ...guess they never saw the Jamming With Edward album.

4. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Never heard of the New Barbarians, but it sounds all sorts of awesome. Kinda like a fusion between the Stones and Faces, but with Stanley on bass. Sounds cool.

I tell you this though, I thought Mick's Wandering Spirit solo album in 91 or 92 was better than anything the Stones did in the 90s and 00s. "Dont Tear Me Up" and "Wired All Night" are both great songs..

However, Wired all Night is only a great song because of its rockin' energy. It probably has the WORST and MOST OUTRAGEOUS lyrics ever......

You go squeeze in your dress, and go strap on your boots
    I'm gonna sharpen my nails and primp up real cute
    I'm gonna smoke up a storm and step into the night
    I'm getting ready to burn, i'm getting ready to fly

I said a, hey, are you shooting to kill
    Hey, would i tell you a lie
    We'll be slamming tequilas, popping hydrogen
    And lose the coils and the kinks that are wrecking my life

Give me a drink, don't be talking so much, you're a pain in the butt
    How can i think when you puke up your guts, i'll be juiced on this stuff

We'll be wired all night
    We hit the high life
    We'll be wired all night
    We hit the high life
    Watch me now

You blew a jelly-face joe, pedro the pimp
    I'm as hard as a brick, hope i never go limp
    Is the earthquake shaking, is there gonna be war
    Tell the national guard to mind the grocery store

I said, hey, and i don't give a hoot
    Hey, i need some earthly delights
    I'll be drowning my sorrows, banging my box
    'til the sirens start singing and i'm ready to fly

Give me a drink, don't be talking so much, you're a pain in the butt
    How can i think when you puke up your guts, i'll be juiced on this stuff

We'll be wired all night
    We hit the high life
    We'll be wired all night
    We hit the high life

Give me a drink, don't be talking so much, you're a pain
    In the butt
    How can i think when you puke up your guts, i'll be juiced
    On this stuff
    I'll be kicked in the nuts

We'll be wired all night
    We hit the high life
    We'll be wired all night
    We hit the high life

5. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Ron Wood was not part of the New Barbarians (IIRC). Mick Jagger put out a couple of crappy solo efforts without the Stones including a duet with David Bowie.

I am the biggest Stones fan ever. However, after seeing Mick perform at the Grammy's, I think he should retire, as it was embarrassing to watch (imho).

6. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    I honestly didn't think Mick was all that bad on the Grammys. He was much better than Bob Dylan butchering "Maggies Farm" with those neo bluegrass hipsters, The Avett Bros., and Mumford And Sons.

7. Comparing the Eurythmics to Wham is not fair... Take a listen to their first album, In the Garden [1981]... One of my all-time fave albums... I wish they had stayed in this mode, although I do enjoy a few of their subsequent tunes...

8. Glad Keith has decided to stick with The Expensive Winos and produce actual music. Supergroups are usually highly overated, Chickenfoot was a nice exception to the rule. Usually, ego clashes cause musical wastelands.

9. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
  10. joe vegas

joe vegas Supporting Member

ronnie was indeed in the new barbarians. keith put the band together for his part of the sentencing deal after the toronto heroin bust (first gig being a benefit for Lighthouse for the Blind, i believe), and the tour coalesced around that. lottsa cool clips on youtube, along with a good stanley dolo from the tour. vinyl bootlegs were everywhere in '79-80 (evert east village record shop had 'em), and all that stuff is still floatin' around.

11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    This one had some potential:

Lennon, Clapton, Richards, Mitchell - The Dirty Mac

[​IMG]

12. Keith as a bass player, very interesting.

13. Hi.

WOW.

No doubt the photo's real, but looks 'shopped to me.

As far as supergroups go, I'd very much like the Bad Company to be included in the list ;).

Regards
    Sam

14. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I agree with you, and would like to carry on with a discourse on this subject, but instead I feel compelled to say that you have The Greatest Avatar In the History Of The Internet.

Both Keith and Ron Wood are outstanding bass players.

15. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Jul 20, 2007
    not to derail but I take offense to the zwan comment. I think they were really good. Now if only billy would release all the other stuff they did

16. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    It's real.

The Dirty Mac - Yer Blues

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Stewart is a very talented producer/writer in my book.

18. joe vegas

joe vegas Supporting Member

it's real.
    This great, soulful version of "Yer Blues" is on the amazing "Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus" film.
    Keith is killin' on bass, on this track. In the movie, the tune is preceded by a very funny Jagger & Lennon conversation.
    This is really a must-see film, if ya haven't already. Real slice of rock & roll history.

19. If you think Rahman is "um..." then you MUST check out some of his work. Believe me your opinion will change.

20. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    what in the name of sam hill can you call Alterbridge a supergroup??!?!?