1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Mid-size amp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Northernpaw, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Northernpaw

Northernpaw

Apr 21, 2010
    Alberta
    I have a small studio amp - Yorkville... awesome and a Peavy stack (not so great). I need portable enough guts to fill ballroom, small gym, not for open air. The Peavy is too much to lug around and the Yorkville has great sound but doesn't cut it for this size of a venue. Down to three choices.. price is not the issue although they are all around the same (sales, clearance, regular etc,). I cant afford some of the other 2 x 10 out there. I would like a 2 x10 combo with the flexibility of adding a 15 on the bottom.

Fender Bassman 400 Pro with Korg tuner. Surprising quality from Fender. Tons of power and growl but lacking some bottom. Built in tuner is a bonus. Heavy but still protable. Solid, classic sound from a P-Bass or Jazz. 400W

Roland D-210. Loud! not many review out there on this one and Roland is not that popular in Bass amps. I was surprised at how much it cut through everything else. Built in EQ settings (3 choices) are quick and practical but best on Flat. Lightest of the three. Some hissing when I tried it in the store but I believe it was due to the electrical in the room and a passive bass. 450W

Marshall 4210. This was just in the store and I never thought of tryng it out. Sales guy tells me he can't keep them in. Powerful and seems to have more range flexibility than the Roland. A little less power. No tuner input. only had it plugged in for a couple of minutes.

Suggestions? Experience with any of the above? I prefer a lower growl, jazz sound to a bright P-bass sound.

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I have (2) Fender heads TB1200 and the 300 pro. the combo your looking at the Bassman400Pro should be great. Its not a bottom feeder combo and it seems to have a lot of features. Fender quality in their bass amps for what I bought is great.

3. Northernpaw

Northernpaw

Apr 21, 2010
    Alberta
    Thanks! The Marshall is now out based on comments and what I heard. The Roland has a few positive comments. I will be back in today to try both...too bad they aren't in the same store :(

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Of the three listed the Fender would be my choice.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Me too, fender Pro combo's have the TBP-1 preamp, and they sound great.

6. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    why don't you get a bigger yorkville combo if you already like the yorkville sound