New MIJ ATK 1200 vs Used EBMM SR4 SH (can't try before buy)...please vote/share opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pudgychef, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Brand New MIJ Ibanez ATK 1200 Prestige

2. Used EBMM Stingray 4HS (looks to be in great shape from, photos)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Thanks for checking the thread - I am hopeful of some thoughts on a couple basses I have a line on, but haven't played before.

Choices are:
    * brand new Ibanez MIJ ATK 1200 Prestige
    * used EBMM Stingray 4 SH (appears to be in very good condition)

I live in Chongqing China. I can order one of these two basses. Unfortunately, both basses are 600-1000km+ away, so trying before buying is not an option. (Also used GC or Craigslist etc are not options.) Shipping and import make ordering from US equally pricey plus potential for long delay in customs (even if I can find a willing partner) Been wanting to get a Bongo...but they are nearly double either of these in this market.

They are both about $1323 US shipped, which is a pretty good prices here (MIM Fenders are $1000US new...SBMM would be about the same) They would both normally be $2000 + here brand new - Used SRs are just starting to show up in the sub $1500 used

I own and play an ATK300 (MII) and a USA SUB Ray....(and have so confident both will be a good fit feel wise...two of my favorite neck profiles). But NO experience on these specific basses (or any multi PU ATK/SR)

So - any hands on experience? (opinions on the SR SH are popping up on my searches, but almost nothing on the MIJ ATK)

I am sure both are excellent basses, with top-notch construction. Really interested to hear thoughts on the single coil EBMM PU and the MIJ in general (the new pre-amp and CAP pick-ups)

Thanks!

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    I voted for the ATK purely because I like to see something different but you're going to get a great bass whichever one you go with.

dralionux and pudgychef like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My choice depends on how much you want the true Stingray tone because only a Stingray will give that to you. The ATK, however, is great at what it does.

4. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I like, but don't need, the true Ray tone for this bass....it will hopefully be the bass that can cover enough Ray/bridge-ish and enough P/neck-ish sounding tones to be used for some stuff that calls copping a few different era-esque tones

5. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Having played most of the ATK range i find the tonal possibilities somewhat endless. Just my 2 cents worth. For full disclosure i am not a Stingray fan.

6. I've owned both. I prefer the tone of the atk, but the stingray definitely looks cooler.

pudgychef and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the ATK is what you really need. It is certainly more versatile.

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  8. I also voted for the ATK. I've never played a bad one, and they're great bang for the buck.

I guess the same can be said for the stingray, but I prefer the neck on atks.

9. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Thanks for the reply. Have you found the ATK warm/thick enough? My original 90s MIJ ATK was thicker in my memory than my current MII ATK...

As far as appearance, the ATK 1200 almost seems like they forgot to label it...the 'ray looks better for sure.

BTW the ray is also natural.

10. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Thanks for the reply...I agree on both...both excellent, well crafted basses...likely just need to choose one and make it work (although its always fun to hear from folks)

Thanks Dr. Cheese - will have to make a choice in next couple days, or one of these will be gone

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Whatever you chose, I'm sure you will be happy!

12. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Bump for (hopefully) a few more thoughts

Thanks

13. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    You already have a true Stingray tone with your USA SUB. And it's the IMO ultimate 2 band tone. Unless yours is passive?

pudgychef likes this.
  14. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I dint know how good both bass guitar, but I am really impressive with walnut ATK Premium 800.
    How good ? Smoke the Fender Am STD jazz in Tone and build quality.

Just my 2cent

FingerDub and chombebass like this.
  15. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    It's indeed active..and I too tend to prefer the 2 band Ray pre...and the painted neck the SUBs and Bongo have

But am tempted to try that neck pu

mouthmw likes this.
  16. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I was tempted to grab the premium...but it's only about $200 more for the MIJ (normally almost 2x the price)

Yahboy likes this.
  17. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Awesome, I'm a big fan of Rays, so I'd say Ray. :D That said, I also own a USA SUB and I love it to bits. Prefer it to most Rays because of the finished neck, it's IMO as good as Classic Rays.

pudgychef likes this.
  18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Just Shot the MIJ prestige ATK.

pudgychef likes this.
  19. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Both Fender ,Squier and Musicman is overprice at China and some Asia market.
    Ibanez and Bacchus is better choice.

20. Definitely get the MM. Its an HS setup so its very versatile. You should be able to get the Stingray tone along with copping a Jazz and P tone.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021