Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New MIJ Fender '75 reissue Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I just bought this. Of course, it will be modded. I'm putting a J Retro in her (heads up Dude!). Also, I ordered a custom p/g and p'up covers from Warmouth.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Congrats Woodchuck !

More and more players here discover that MIJ Fender's are great basses. I believe many of us would be glad to read a review from you about this nice JB 75 RI...

3. sweet bass, how much did it cost you, i love the color and the inlays.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    supernice. i am looking for the same bass here in italy, used.

let us know how the bass will play with the upgrades.

way to go!

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Plus shipping, $480.00.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Nice bass GREAT price. I'm assuming it's an MIJ. If it's an MIA WOW!!!!!! That's a SUPER DUPER GREAT PRICE

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The title of the thread says "MIJ". So yes, I also think it's a MIJ. :D ;)

Probably got from Ishibashi, hmm ?

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :eek: :p Didn't notice.

9. 480.00 thats aswome. If you don't mind can you tell me where?

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    what a deal! I would love to score something like that... you'll let me know when it is time to move it along, right?

P@

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I bought it from a guy in Greenville, S.C. Thanks for the kind words. Now I need to find someone in Atlanta to install a J Retro.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I had a Natural/Rosewood. Sounded great, played great...looked too pretty...too dressed up. I guess I like dots and no binding better.

13. How the hardware on those MIJ's? The tuners and all that good stuff. I'm really gassin' for one of those Ishibashi '62 Fender RI's!

14. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Well done Woodchuck! I love the natural look and block inlays, that 70's look is very cool. I'm considering a Marcus Miller/Geddy Lee for that very reason. Are you thinking of changing the pickups too? If so, what are you planning on putting in there?

Keep us informed as the updates go in.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's a wonderful bass, what a shame that you're modding it. :( Have you even tried it passive with the stock hardware? I remember when those basses came out I tried one out and almost bought it when I got my NOS Palaedium in the mid-late 90s. If that were mine I'd keep it bone stock. Those things sound fantastic as they are. But that's just me I guess.

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Let me know when you get it, Woodchuck. My guitar player works at Instrument Repair Shop. He installed Stachio's pickups for him, and did a good job. He's currently dressing the frets on my new ABG, too. He does good work. He can probably even do it while you wait if he's not too busy.

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Cool! Thanks BM! :cool:
    Philbiker: I have played one passive and they are great, but once you go J Retro.........;)

18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Not a problem, Woodchuck.

I'm a big fan of the look of the stock 75, but the JRetro is just too cool, and it makes the thing a true beast.

I have come to the realization that I prefer the stock Fender bridge over any of the fancier replacements. It just doesn't sound like a Jazz Bass with the big, massive replacements. Adding the JRetro gives it all the balls it could ever need, by itself.

19. Ladies and gentleman,

It's my duty to tell you all that these MIJ Fender '75 are REALLY FANTASTIC! For the money they are REALLY FANTASTIC a 1000 times more! I have a natural/rosewood one and the sound is freakin' FAT; maybe even better sounding than the original ones from way back. Mine has Japanese pups which are quite loud and very nice sounding. Everyone looking for an inexpensive jazzbass should check one out. I have owned a Lakland Joe Osborn, Fender CS 60's reissue Jazz, original Fender '71, '74, '78, MM & GL signatures etc. but the one I own now really blows them all IMHO because it is "more Fender" than all mentioned above.

Greetz, Werner.

20. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    That is a sweet reissue Wood! How does it play and sound?
    I love 70's Jbasses
    To bad they discontinued those sweet Red ones with the matching headstocks at musicians fiend, I was waiting for my B-day to get one and I blew that chance:(