Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Mike Dirnt signiture bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greendayjustin, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Fender is putting out a new Mike Dirnt signiture bass. Its got a vintage early 50's style p bass ash body, tele style headstock, replica's of Mike's '69 pickups, and a bad ass II bridge. I WANT IT.

2. i thought that it wa sthe neck that was shaped like his '69 P, and with Seymor vintage style pups!

too bad there arent many colors, artic white would be AWESOME!

anyway! i can't to get a shot at this piece of wood, anyone got any price tags?? :hyper:

3. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    " bass looks a lot like the '51 P Bass, which it is modeled after, but it it loaded with a Custom Shop '59 Precision Bass pickup and its vintage vibe is the perfect alternative for many bass enthusiasts. It includes a Deluxe Gig Bag. "

I'm a bit confused, I'm a fan of green day and Mike Dirnt who is one of my influence. I through his signature will be more like the basses he plays 66' 69' and 70's MIA Pbass.
    Here Fender release a 51' clone with 59 pu... :meh:

This bass retails at $599 at music123.com with extra charge for the 2 tones sunburst model. Available in vintage white, black and 2 tone sunburst.

[​IMG]

4. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I have a burning hatred for Tele headstocks though.

5. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I love those headstocks, but what I want is a Fender Jazz Deluxe with a pickguard like a Tele bass, a Jazz sized Tele headstocked neck.

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
  7. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Yeah, I've been eyeing that one too. I like it better than the 51 reissue because it has the contoured body and humbucking p-bass pickups. I would probably go with the vintage white. I'm looking forward to user reviews. Wonder what kind of wood is used for the body?

8. I really dont like that pickgaurd...just seems to take up to much of the bass...i also dont really like the headstock

Oh well...its obvisouly not my kind of bass

9. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000

It's ash.

10. http://www.fender.com/misc/winterna...ther/index.html

http://www.fender.com/misc/winternamm2004/other/Mike_Dirnt_Bass.html

http://fender.demonweb.co.uk/news/NEWTheMikeDirntPrecisionBass.asp

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. I wonder how Fender would feel about his best work, musically, is on the albums of which, only used a fender a couple of times? :p
    hehe. looking good! price ain't too bad either!

lol... from his biography:
    and one more thing that i maybe missed, is the bass a MIA? or CIJ?.... MIM? :meh:

cheers! :) :bassist:

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    "Mike Dirnt and his band mates in Green Day have almost single brought punk and pop to the masses."

Gotta love a typo in the first sentence of a press release about a new product. :confused:

I like the bass. I couldn't care less about Green Day, really, but I like the bass. Another cool option at a good price point. :hyper:

13. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I have read many interviews in which he stated that he played a Precision on almost all of Dookie. He used a P alot in the studio but played his G3 live almost all the time.

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    for sure i like the look!

i would love a white one.

15. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Runs in horror! ;)

16. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    The 013 prefix means MIM.

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, that's the only part that bothers me. I certainly wish it was either CIJ or MIK rather than MIM or MIA. At least Fujigen Gakki and Cor-Tek know how to finish frets and shoot a decent polyurethane neck finish that won't peel, skills that're apparently long lost in Ensenada and Corona. :spit:

It's interesting to see how many new Korean-made Fenders there are this year.

I really like the idea of the Dirnt bass, but we'll have to see how well executed it is. The only previous Ensenada-made "Artist Series" bass I can think of offhand is the Hoppus, and all examples I personally examined were pretty wretched in all ways.

This, BTW, was a design Fender came up with prior to any association with Dirnt. They sent him a prototype for evaluation and he loved it so much he agreed to be the signature artist.

It appears to be a design inspired by the earlier Schecter DeLeo Model T.

18. as much as i like the look of the dirnt, i think i'd rather have the model T in ivory:

[​IMG]

robb.