Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Mike Gordon CD - mini review

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Picked up Mike Gordon's solo CD, "Inside In" on Tuesday and I love it!!!

Now, granted, I am an avowed Phishhead so many might expect me to like it, but I actually think it's better than Trey's, Fish's and Page's side projects. Trey's stuff is great, but something about Cactus' music just screams "range" when it comes to songwriting.

I really was not expecting much, because I'm often disappointed by side projects, but I am really diggin' on this one.

There are a number of guests on the CD, such as Bela Fleck, Col. Bruce and Fish himself. Together, all of the parts blend quite nicely, making for a very textural recording.

Standouts:

"Couch Lady" - featuring some decent layered guitar work by Cactus himself (in fact, he plays guitar throughout the CD, as well as some banjo parts, accordian, pedal steel, harmonica, percussion).

"The Teacher" - Has some nice slide by Gordon Stone and a nice C/W vibe, but with some interesting vocal/instrumental twists

"Soulfood Man" - Cactus at his funky best

"Outside Out" - features MC900-Ft Jesus-like rap from Cactus.

"Major Minor" - Some nice Cactus bass work. Russ Lawton's bangin' the skins and Gordon Stone on Pedal steel.

"Take Me Out" - nice C/W-ish tune. More solid pedal steel work from Stone as well as Bela on banjo. Nice vocal work from Cactus.

I recommend this one. I really dig it.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I picked it up too......I don't know if I like it better than Trey's band though.....they really groove! But I have to listen to it a few more times, sonicly it sounds great!

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Speaking of Mike Gordon, he got himself in a tad of trouble last week. Has anybody heard if the situation has been resolved? I hope so. I hate to see such a talented bassist have his career ruined by what he calls a "misunderstanding."

Anyway, I haven't heard this CD. Thanks for the heads up.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    jerry - for pure "groove", you are absolutely right - Trey's stuff kicks!

But I think I just dig the textural quality of Cactus' music. No offense, but Trey's stuff can get VERY repetitive, especially live. I mean, as great as Tony Markellus (sp?) is, hearing him play the same groove for 30 minutes in the same key with no changes whatsoever while Trey wanks it on guitar can get old.

Please don't get me wrong - I like TAB, I really do. But I honestly get worn out after listening to about a disc & a half of one of his bootlegs. Granted, the Phish detractors would (will) offer that they experience the same feeling with Phish in general, but I would submit that there is a WORLD of difference between a 20-minute Divided Sky and a 20 Minute Simple Twist Up Dave. :D

5. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    I really dig this album, but DAMN the liner notes are weird.