1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Mike Lull Thunderbird bass at BassNW!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slaphappy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

I was just back in Seattle for a hometown visit. I stopped by BNW and chatted with Evan for some time, when in walks Roger Gee from Mike Lull's shop with a brand new Mike Lull Thunderbird (T-Bass II) for them to sell! It's a BEAUT!!! Mahagony, of course, lightweight, balanced, Mike Lull playability/setup/finish, and it's a tone monster.

http://www.bassnw.com/New Exotic Basses/mike_lull_t_bassII_SB_BRW.htm

Evan fired it up on an SVT and this thing just brought the power. :bassist: Amazing sound, and mudless! Evan was loving how even the output was for every string, and the sustain is astounding.

He didn't tag it before I left, but I know it'll be significantly less than Lull's retail. By far, it's the best T-Bird I've ever heard, and one of the best BASSES I've ever heard.

It's got clarity, but it's still got this vintage type sound to it..this thing just rolls like a mighty river is the best way I can say it.

Anyway...I know we have T-bird fans here and this bass calls for your attention, fellas.

BTW, I don't work for BassNW, and no kickbacks. Just excited about this bass and wanted to share it with you all in case someone might be interested in such a beast! :cool:

2. Aren't these basses just awesome? I got to play the prototype a while back, and was absolutely blown away by it. Terrific instrument!

3. Light and balanced? How?!?

4. Definitely, Jerry. This thing sounded so good!

Evan did some chording on it as well, and you could hear everything even with the SVT-ness going on.

5. I know...I wasn't expecting that either. :D

I'm serious, I've held Mike's orginal T-Bird and the thing is what you'd expect; a mahogany boat anchor! And it dived like anything. But this new one he designed has no dive, and overall much lighter weight.

Bring the pain without the strain. :cool:

6. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Sounds like a winner!

7. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Yeah, I was in there yesterday and had a chance to play it through the SVT stack. Evan said it was the best four string bass he's ever played, and it was hard to disagree after playing it.

8. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    For $4,649 suggested retail it should be killer. I would love to try one of those.

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  10. Purdy Birdy!!!

11. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Oh Oh! GAAAASSSS!!!!

12. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    They're very nice basses, Mike's attention to detail is just first rate, I love mine - here it is all finished up with it's chrome parts.

thunderbirds014.

13. Great looking bass, TBird! I saw your thread on it, he did a fantastic job on it, as should be expected! :bassist:

14. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007

T birds have never been muddy sounding. Thats for EB's

15. My bad...I got confused in my excitement. Thanks for the correction. :cool:

16. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    White with black pickguard, please!

Pretty sure one of these will be my next bass....

17. OUCH!! I'll wait for one to show up on the secondary market :ninja: :)

18. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    I think street price is more like $2800-$3000.

19. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Drool!!!!!

20. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If anyone is in the Chicagoland area, I'll have Mike's personal (and initial prototype) T-bird at the Bryan Beller free clinic sponsored by Lull Guitars and presented by Blueberry Hill Bass next Tuesday. Check out the announcement on the front page of TB for details and/or PM me if you have questions. It should be a great GTG.