New Mike Pope Fodera pre-amp and MPP-1 NAMM review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basswalker2004, Jan 28, 2009.

1. basswalker2004

basswalker2004

Jun 22, 2008
    I just got back from NAMM where I spent a lot of time at the Fodera booth. I did some playing and a lot of listening. Since I own an older Fodera, I was really interested in checking out the new Mike Pope Fodera internal pre-amp. Mike and collaborator David Yates have really hit the mark with this one. The previous version of the Fodera preamp was great but, AB’ing the old and new versions really gave me a chance to hear the improvements. The new version was warmer, cleaner and offered more tonal possibilities. Mike explained the technical stuff behind it but for me, the bottom line is how it sounds. It was Sweet. Every note was clear and defined on each of the basses I tried out. I have 2 years in on the wait for my new Fodera and I am really happy the upgraded pre will be in it. Mike and David came prepared to do pre-amp upgrades (something I am saving for) at the show and several Fodera owners took the opportunity. After they heard how much better their basses could sound, they couldn’t resist. It’s worth the money. Speaking of worth the money, Mike has also designed a new pre-amp for the more affordable Fodera NYC line of basses. This was my first opportunity to play these fine instruments and they rocked. Many folks jumped at the opportunity to get one of these as evident by all the “sold” signs. The new Pope NYC pre-amp gave a great tone and I was especially impressed with the slap sounds I could get. If I am not mistaken Mike has a couple of these basses with the upgraded pre’s for sale.
    Now, on to the MPP-1 rack mount preamp. I’ve been talking about getting one of these for several months now but questioned whether I needed such a high end unit. Once I got to play on it and heard other people play on it, there was no question. This preamp is amazing. I felt I could really hear the sound of my bass not some companies interpretation of how they think my bass should sound. If you want superb tone, no noise, and meaningful controls and features then this unit is for you. At NAMM Mike had it running through the power section of a Walter Woods driving an Epifani 3 X 10 cab. You just couldn’t believe how nice it sounded. Punchy, with great tone top to bottom. I heard Mike, Matt Garrison, Hadrien Feraud, Victor Wooten and may others play through this set up and they all sounded amazing. Each one of their personalities came through loud and clear. So, did I buy one? Yep.. I bought the first of a new line Mike is coming out with called the Mitre box.. Mike had one there and it was great. The Mitre box is a slightly scaled down version of the mpp preamp. Single channel, FX loop is already built in (post EQ, series or parallel selectable with a switch), stereo balanced input with level control for studio or in-ear monitoring. It still has that beautiful, open extended sound the mpp does. There's not as much frequency switching in the EQ, but there's still some and it's very flexible. I opted for this model because I wanted to be able to take my sound with me in the studio, when I am traveling as well as using it to drive my rig. With just a set of headphones I’ll be able to use it as a practice amp in the motel room or to warm up before a gig or session. It’s priced a little less too at $950.
    Well that’s it for my first ever review. I hope you find it helpful. I checked out quite a bit of other gear while I was there so if you find this useful, I will write more.
    Thanks
    Guy

2. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (10/14/09 - 12/16/19)
    Great review and, having been at the booth a lot myself, I completely concur with all of the OP's observations!

3. basswalker2004

basswalker2004

Jun 22, 2008
    Thanks man,

4. Dow

Dow

Dec 20, 2010
    Nice review mr BassWalker,

I am interested if anyone has the information if the Fodera internal preamp and Fodera pickups are available to be bought separately?

PS. I'm from Europe.

5. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (10/14/09 - 12/16/19)
    Presently we only sell them to existing Fodera owners. We do offer used, earlier version preamps and pickups as they are available (when Fodera owners upgrade to the latest version) on eBay...

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021