Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Miles Davis Biography

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Adding to numerous other books about Miles Davis comes a new one just in time for holiday gift-giving: "So What: The Life of Miles Davis: by John Szwed. It sells for about $20.00 at Amazon.com. I haven't checked other book retailers.

Gosh, I'd like to read this! The author, a Yale professor, interviewed amny of Davis' associates and family members, even ex-wives. The book is said to tell both the great and the sordid about this jazz master.

Amazon.com has book reviews from Publisher's Weekly and other sources, plus reader's reviews.

If any of you have already read it or will soon, please let us know what you think of the book and did you learn anything new about Davis.

http://www.amazon.com

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey JO-
    I saw this last week...I wanna read it, but I've already read 3-4 books about Miles, so-
    I bought for myself instead-
    George Harrison's I Me Mine(re-issue)
    Ashey Kahn's book about 'Trane's A Love Supreme
    A pictorial book about The Fillmore East(this book looks very cool. You may need to be an old putz to appreciate it).
    Some giant book about The Who(as big, literally, as that Beatles' Anthology book).

...all are goin' under the tree!

BTW, The Beatles Gear book is now available in a soft cover version.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Am I mistaken or didn't Coltrane's daughter write the book called "A Love Supreme"? Or maybe she did write one about him, but it had a different title.

Anyway, that book should be very interesting too.

Are there any good Charlie Parker bios? No matter...I'd want to read about Miles Davis first.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    JO-
    If you haven't read Miles' autobiography...do so!
    That's the place to start, IMO.
    I have read Ross Russell's Bird Lives!. I liked it.
    Here's the thing: Read a Miles' bio, you'll get some Parker; read a Parker bio, you'll get some Miles.

The Ashley Kahn book on A Love Supreme just came out 2-3 weeks ago. Kahn also wrote a book on Kind Of Blue...a very, very nice job.
    (Available in either hard or soft).