Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New MIM Fender Jazz :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Dec 29, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just thought I'd post a pic or two of the MIM Fender Jazz I got off of classicjazz, complete with a BadAss II, Deluxe Fender Gig Bag and he was gracious enough to throw in a white pearloid pickguard (lucky for me it didn't fit his Geddy) :)

I took a break and decided to sell my Read Custom P a few months ago, not knowing if I'd want to play again, but just in case I kept my amp. I don't play all that much so I didn't feel right having a $1200 bass sitting around when the money could be used elsewhere. When the urge came back, I looked around for a good deal on a used bass, and luckily I found this. I believe I have one of the MIM "diamonds in the rough" that I've heard about. Now that I've strung up the bass with Labella Medium flats and given it a setup, the playability is great. Not QUITE as easy as the Read P, but nice just the same. The fretboard on this bass is GORGEOUS, a very nice red streaked rosewood, the nicest rosewood I've seen on any mass produced bass.

In short this bass is one that I won't see myself parting with, and one that I'll be glad to have around. In all honesty, this bass has made me realize that you don't have to spend alot to find the right bass, if you know where to look. In all honesty, in comparing it to the Read Custom P, I couldn't justify the $1000 price difference. Yes, the Read has a refined handmade quality to it (except for the body which was a MIM anyway), and the MIM Jazz isn't perfect; For instance, the fret slots aren't filled in completely in some areas, there are a few paint flaws around the neck heel, and the strap button at the end of the body is drilled alittle off, so I would have to redrill it straighter if I wanted to take off the felt for a cleaner look. But, aside from those things, the playability and even the tone compared to the Read are close enough for me to not be able to justify having a bass that was that much more in price.

I've also discovered the wonders of a Jazz strung with flats. I loved the P with flats, but this bass has low end, growl, clarity and versatility that I didn't know I was missing. It's also a great slapper as well, even with the flats :)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    A fender mim jazz and ampeg b100r was my setup a few years ago.

3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Hey, that looks like a bass I used to have! :smug:

I'm glad it found a good home! BTW, my white pearloid pickguard for my Geddy is in, I'll post some photos when I slap it on!

4. Very nice, cant go past a J bass!

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Awesome! Not my FAVORITE color, but she's certainly a looker.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I swear by MIM. Great looking bass!

7. Looks a lot like mine, except for the color. I like it! You'll love the bass, man! If it only had a 5th string....... ;)

8. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    It's funny, I don't think I would have picked this color a few years ago. As time goes on I prefer more classic or vintage looking stuff.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Love the bass, don't like the bridge - pickguard: "eh". Did you get the original bridge?

10. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I was the one that installed that bridge on the bass (before I sold it to fourstringdrums). It made a noticeable difference in the attach and punch compared to the old bridge. Something a slapper looks for. Plus that bridge is much more stable then the stock Fender bridges.

I can also hear the difference in attack and "snap" between my Classic Jazz (standard bridge) and my Geddy Lee Jazz (Badass II).

There is something to be said about the extra mass of a bridge. Even my Alembic has a big thick brass block mounted under the bridge.

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I do like the bridge. The BAII does add more attack and helps make slap lines come out clearer even with flats.