New MIM Fender PJ bass + a question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 311fan, Jan 4, 2006.

1. 311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    So I have not had a new bass in a while and saw this little beauty at guitar center used for $200. Its the first fender I have ever played that I actually liked.

Now onto my question. Does anyone know anything about this. I looked online and couldn't find anything exactly like it.
  2. Beautiful bass! That particular model is discontinued. They replaced it with a similar bass, but with an active preamp and a noiseless J pickup, sometime this summer or so. I was a bit disappointed since I wanted to pick up one of these a while back. I remember playing one with a maple board that felt as good or better than a lot of MIA's I've played!
  3. 311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    oh, Thanks for the info. Any guess on how much this is worth? Did I get a good deal for $200
  4. I would say that you got a good deal for 200. Looks great to me. Congrats!
  5. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Damn straight.....looks good and I'll bet it sounds good. Nice score.
  6. UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    I have the same model, but in black with a maple board. Great bass and 200 dollars is an amazing price
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Fender P-Bass Special, if I'm not mistaken. New, they used to go for a little under $500, assuming I'm thinking it's the same model. They were offered with the gold pickguard, which is what makes me think that's one of them. $200 sounds like a heck of a good deal!
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    That's a steal. The G.C. in SLC had a red one with a gold anodized pickguard. I can't remember the exact price, but I think they wanted $400.00+ for it.

IMO it was one of the best sounding P-Basses they had in stock.

Congrats, -Art
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My high school had one of those, was on semi permanent loan to me :p

Backed up my '78. I feel bad for the poor chap who had to use the $200 Ibanez and didnt know the school owned this thing because it was with me.

Phenominal bass, especially for the price.
  10. 311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City

Oh it does. Its just a little to bright for my liking but I am falling more in love with it every day.
  11. Wow, i really really really like that . . . . mmmmmm nice purteh colours
  12. very nice bass. good price. it will always be worth more than what you paid for it. money, well spent.
    what year is it? i'm trying to nail down, a "street price" on it.
    i'm guessing, $350 - $400. congrats!! :cool:
  13. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

$200? You gotta be kidding me -- thats Squier territory!

Beautiful bass (The white and gold are working for me!) and a GREAT score -- nicely done!!! :hyper:
  14. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    MIM's for 200 are always a good deal imho.
    Nice score. enjoy it!
  15. Dough

Dec 7, 2005
  16. That's the new model of the Deluxe P. It's identical except it has a noiseless J pickup and an active preamp.
  17. 311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    One more question. Does anyone know what kind of pups are in this?
  18. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    In this older Deluxe model, as far as I know, these are the same MIM pickups you'd find on a MIM P and in the bridge of a MIM J bass. As someone else mentioned, the new model has US made noiseless pickups, which are basically leftovers from the older US Deluxe models. I recall they did the same thing with the MIM Deluxe Jazz. I guess when they changed the pickups and preamps of the US Deluxe models they likely had a stock pile of the older pickups and preamps on their hands. So why not upgrade their MIM Deluxe models, right? It’s a sweet deal all around, I'd say.

Yeah, the newer P Deluxe is more happening with the pickup upgrade and addition of a preamp. But at $200, I say you got a pretty good deal all the same. And hell, you can always throw in any pickup and/or preamp you want and have an even more killer bass on the cheap. Ya did good!

19. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Nice bass, sweet deal! Congrats!