1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New mim fender qc!! Sucks!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JonKim, Jun 14, 2012.

1. JonKim

JonKim

Nov 15, 2011
    I have a newer 2010 model standard jazz that I decided to strip. At first it looked to be one if not 2 piece body through the sunburt finish.
    I just felt like giving a strip a try. Man I think I took off at least a pound of finish off. I just used a scraper and the finish just came off easily when you dig it under the finish.
    After I completed the strip I found out that the one piece perceived body is actually 7 different pieces with an alder veneer on the top and rear to give it that look. The actual alder is so much darker and man scoop many pieces.

I was going do an oil finish but not I may just go for a solid color finish....

Thanks fender...

Sorry I took some pics and carefully looked it at the body.

It's 7 pieces of alder....

8efe4512.jpg

584ba52c.jpg

3da66d03.jpg

c988b732.jpg

acd497b6.jpg

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    How on earth does that have anything to do with quality control?

3. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    I think this is a record.

4. So you mistakenly thought that a MIM body was a one or two piece, but that is not the case.

And that's a QC issue.

Okay.

5. Swirl Paint it!.

6. JonKim

JonKim

Nov 15, 2011
    Well I can tell you as I was stripping the paint the consistency of the thickness varied widely throughout the body. There were spots where the paint was thick as the pick guard and places where the finish was only a hairline thick

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    That is a pathetic amount of peices for the body. Way to many for any bass that costs over $100 imo.

8. JonKim

JonKim

Nov 15, 2011
    When I bought this bass I picked it because I can see through the finish that the body was one or maybe two pieces. It's pretty deceiving. Some of the sunburst basses I saw clearly 3 pieces but that's just not the case.
    Fender should advertise these basses as multilaminate bodies with an alder veneer top

9. The exact same thing happened to me.

I used a heat gun after seeing geniuses on YouTube do it successfully, which caused even more separation of the multiple pieces. I had to use filler in several spots.

Make sure you prime it good before you finish it or your finish will blow.

10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    There are lots of posts about how great low-line Fender basses are. This seems to me to be a reasonable corner to cut to control costs. Plus it is a green solution; they can use "scraps" that would otherwise have to be discarded, with no negative effects. You'd never have known if you hadn't stripped it.

Have fun with the refin. I want to learn to do that; it may be a project pretty soon.

11. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I think the fine folks at Alembic would like to speak with you :bag:

12. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    This is part of being responsible stewards of the forests. Using small pieces that would otherwise be thrown away is good for the environment.

If you are a tree hugger, this is a good thing.

If you are like me, it doesn't matter either way.

13. Fender does not plan it's construction around someone wanting to strip the finish. It is well known that the Sunburst MIM basses are veneer over several pieces of body. Their finishes are quite beautiful and the overall quality is excellent.Don't blame them for your mistake.
    Rocky

14. jthurston

jthurston

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    OK, help me out here: I'm not sure I understand why this is a QC issue, or even a bad thing at all. Did the number of parts in the body have a negative effect on how the bass sounded? Before you stripped it, did you notice a deficiency in the tone, tenor or sustain of the instrument?

Maybe Fender has some really serious quality issues that I'm not aware of?

Or was this just something you noticed after you stripped the finish off, and then it became a problem?

15. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada

Well.... Made in Mexico. It's made there so "they can" cut corners/costs and pass along the savings to folks who don't have the amount of disposable income it takes to buy the Made in America basses. You didn't know that before you bought it? I'm not aware of many players that aren't already aware of this. :eyebrow:

16. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    Nice toe shot

17. this is absurd

18. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    +1...

Million.

Who cares. If my MIM 2011 Jazz is made out of 7 pieces, GOOD! It sounds AMAZING!

19. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I've been around here for a long time and never knew they did that.
    But hey, does anybody remember some of the "butcher block" ash bodies Peavey was famous for back in the 80's? I've seen t-40s in natural that looked like 3 or 4 2x4s glued together. In fact, I just picked up my natural 79 T-40 and the body is 3 pieces of ash. And its neighbor in the stand, a t-20 has a FOUR piece body.

But even though I didnt know about this until reading this thread, who cares? Its still all alder under there, right? So you got an alder-bodied bass! You got EXACTLY when Fender said you were getting.

QC issue? Nah, not at all.

20. Thats how MIM fender are , it doesnt effect sound having 7 pieces and no fenders are 1 piece , 2 is a rarity.