Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_D, Feb 27, 2006.

1. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    I started a post a while back asking if anyone new of a good place to buy a decent quality Jazz in the UK.
    Anyway thanks to all the UK Tbers who helped me on my quest. Initially the price of the Fenders were putting me off but I tried a few through in Glasgow and Dundee and decided if a decent enough one came up on the Bay I would try my hand at getting a good price on it. Here is what I found.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7391484618&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

The only doubt in my mind is he has only got 4 feedback ratings but I contacted him before I put in a bid and he seems genuine enough. He also contacted me as soon as the payment went through telling me it would be posted today. I hope I am not getting stung here but I paid with Paypal and it was too good a price to turn down.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I own one and really like it alot. Congrats on the purchase.
    Alot of people say MIM fenders are hit and miss but quite honestly I think alot of these problems can be attributed to poor setup, at least in my experience.

Let us know how it sounds once it arrives!

3. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Will do. I intend to take some better quality piccies too.

4. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Well it arrived today and I am very happy.
    It has a slight ding at the bass near the strap button but the guy did mention this in the listing so no surprises there.

It sounds lovely although it keeps going out of tune? Probably to do with the temp/humidity changes during shipping. I will find out after a couple of days once it has gotten used to the temp in my Bedroom.

[​IMG]

And here is a really bad quality picture of the ding on the bottom,
    [​IMG]

5. The tuning on my MIM P can be a bit inconsistant. I dont know if maybe its the tuners? Anyone else noticed this?

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Sage green.....very nice indeed! I suspect the tuning issue should go away but if not, have the bass set up with some new strings. Congrats again.....enjoy!

7. The tuning should be fine...if you can't play a whole song without it staying in tune, THEN get worried.

I've had mine for 5 years, and the tuners are starting not to hold the tuning for ages (i.e. if I put it into its case for 2-3 weeks it'll be out of tune when I pull it out...mind you - I use a soft case and they can be real sods when it comes to tuning keys and stuff! None of them are outstanding for keeping tune, but the G string slips more and is quite bent)

8. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    The oven mitt is a nice touch. ;)

9. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Lol I didnt want to scratch it on the pebbles!

Anyway the tuning issue seems to have gone already. Well mostly anyway. I have been playing it all day and tuning it back up as it goes out again. Put it down had my dinner and a shower then picked it up and it was still fine. It was going out while I was playing before.
    Anyway I have just put my old bass up for sale on Ebay (Cant say which one cause I dont think you are aloud to advertise in reg forums). I said I would sell it to justify buying that one so cant really back out now. Its a shame but I wasn't that attached to it anyway.

10. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Oh and by the way, I went to re-string it with a set of spare strings I had sitting and the ball on the bridge end went straight through! I assumed the manufacturers would agree on a minimum size or something!
    Need to buy more strings now so what would you reccomend for a jazz flatwound or roundwound?