1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New MIM P Bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stonewall, Oct 23, 2013.

1. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    I recently started messing with a New MIM P Bass im super happy with this bass no complaints.Is there something different with the pickups cause WOW are they hot.Example my Customshop Relic Jazz is set at 3 gain and 10 master ...switch to the P 3 gain 4 master its a huge difference the height of the pickups are similar.Why is there such a difference does anyone know?

2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    IIRC they are pretty hot stock pickups.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    All of my P's are louder than most of the basses I own, except for my ASAT.

4. I used to have a 2001 MIM Fender P-Bass and it had the hottest pickups I've played...hotter than my old AV 57RI P-Bass and my current AV 62RI P-Bass.

5. adk teleman

adk teleman

Aug 28, 2011
    Alex Bay NY
    My Classic 70's P is really loud...to the point I have to really dial it back compared to several of my other basses and then readjust my amp volume.

6. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I recently got a new Antigua P Bass and it is much hotter than my jazz basses.

Wally

7. IIRC the new MIM (post 2012) have the old American pickups in them as well cause the new Americans switched to different pickups

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I cant imagine this to be the case, because even though the MIM Standard list the installed pick up as the 'New Standard', they are still using a ceramic pickup, and every American Standard/Series bass since its inception should have been using alnico pickups ...

Edit to add: ... with that said, that could/would also explain the earlier posts in this thread about the 'hotness' or loudness of the pups in MIM P's, as a ceramic pick up will usually be brighter, or even 'harsher' than the alnico counterparts ....

9. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Apr 8, 2013
    My mim Blacktop Jazz is hot too.