1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New MIM standard Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by southpaw420, Dec 31, 2012.

1. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    A few weeks ago I ordered a brand new MIM standard J. Let me start by saying that this is not my first MIM standard bass. About 4/5 years ago I had the same bass but it had already been a little beat down from sitting on display at guitar center. Had shotty nut work, really crappy hardware, some minor finish flaws, but had a nice tone. I ultimately sold it and moved on to a G&L and Carvin 5 string. I ended up selling the G&L as well and found myself wanting a new 4 string passive beater to use with my current band. I purchased a heavily used early 80's Hondo p bass copy off of ebay and wound up loving the thing. It really is a nice bass. Not one dead spot and it has a really nice p bass tone with the D'Addario halfs I strung it with. I figured it was time to snag myself a nice cheap J as well. After trying out the new American standards (which were nice but not quite in my budget), I tried out a few of the Standard MIM's . Some were nicer than others as far as the feel and weight. Since I was in no rush, I decided to order one blind from Zzounds.com so I could use their monthly payment plan. The bass I received was set up pretty well out of the box. After a few adjustments it was playing perfectly and sounded great. While noodling around a little bit, I noticed some buzzing on the 17th fret on the A string, almost like the note was being choked. From what Ive heard the typical dead spot for these is around the 6 or 7th fret on the G string but I'm experiencing it way lower on the fretboard. Anyone know of a fix for this other than the fat finger route? I'm thinking it may just be a poorly leveled fret. It's honestly not too bad and cant be heard in a band context, just figured I could possibly remedy it completely with a fret job or set up adjustment. In any case here are the pics.
    Sittin pretty in a Reunion Blues Continental...
    DA4E248E-D5B7-4C35-9D01-BAF8476A9824-22350-000017699B8762C2.jpg
    9092D1BC-6BC8-436E-95EC-33B16E7F2757-22350-00001769E80939B2.jpg

2. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic

Nov 15, 2011
    I love it

3. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    just deal with a little buzz on these.....If its only a little buzz. on my MIM the neck twisted a little or something and the whole thing is buzzing.I just bought it a couple months ago! when you look down the neck it looks bowed. The action was set a touch high but after the neck bowed the strings feel like they are an inch from the fretboard. obviously I am taking it to my luthier to fix this! they all buzz a little. when they all start buzzing then worry about it! I wish my MIM just made one fret buzz! Like you said though when I bought it it played like a dream. maybe its the weather.....been really cold lately.

4. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    I've never heard about dead notes occuring this high on the fretboard. Bad fret leveling is much more probable...

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021