New (mini)Amp Day!! BlackStar Fly 3 Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by herbygardener, May 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    So...I regularly have a commute that involves 2+hrs of waiting in lines for and riding ferries. I usually keep my 'practice' bass in the car with me to make use of some of that 'free' time. I have been researching small battery powered practice amps for awhile now and finally ordered the BlackStar Fly 3 Bass Stereo Pack. It has everything that I need in a nice compact package and for the price I figured it was worth trying out. For a couple of years I have been using a Vox amPlug 2 Bass Headphone Amp but this unit gives me more options and flexibility.
    First and foremost - realistic expectations from a product like this are very important in my opinion. Do not expect it to suffice for band use (3/6 watts) but for home/travel solo practice, jamming along to tunes/backing tracks, playing along with a buddie on acoustic guitar or simply using as portable laptop/phone speakers, it will get the job done.
    Would love to hear feedback from anyone that has had/used one for awhile, how is it holding up?
    I'm pleasantly surprised with this little rig and the boost of excitement about 'practice' is kinda nice too!
    Cheers! :thumbsup:

From Blackstar...
    FLY 3 Bass is a compact, innovative mini amp that gives you huge tone on the go. Combining two selectable channels, a continuously variable mid-cut EQ and compressor for ultimate control over your dynamics; it’s the perfect take-anywhere amp for your bass guitar, phone or tablet.
    The FLY 3 Bass also comes with an MP3/LINE IN jack built in, allowing you to connect to your MP3 player, mobile phone, laptop, tablet etc. and jam along to your favourite tracks; the Emulated Output jack can also be used with headphones.
    The FLY 3 Bass Stereo Pack is the FLY 3 Bass with the FLY 103 and creates a 6 watt Bass guitar amp setup which creates a stereo effect when playing your Bass guitar or listening to your favourite tunes. The pair of them linked together create one of the best portable speakers, pc speakers or computer speakers to play your music through.

*edited to remove unnecessary images*

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I'm thinking of getting this set-up for the purposes of dry rehearsel with my band when we are overseas in hotel rooms and such, my question is how does it handle a Low B string & what about using a active bass in the input?

3. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    I have only used 4 string basses but both passive and active without issue.
    Had to turn up the gain and volume with the passive but to be expected.
    I'm curious how it would do with more than just an accompanying guitar.