Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New mini-Ampegs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Aug 14, 2002.

1. I just tried out a mini-stack of the new mini-Ampegs. They seem like they're supposed to be in the same market as Mesa Boogie Walkabouts or Clarus heads. . . super-light weight for small gigs, and definitely in the pro- or semi-pro price range.

However, from what I heard, they're not even close.

Either the head or the cab (a vertical 2x10", I think) or both gave the stack an incredibly muddy sound. With a Roscoe and a Pulcinella Level 5, the sound was a horror -- mud, mud, mud. The only bass that sounded good thru this rig was a Spector Czech 4-string, I suppose because the Czech Spectors are so bright and clean.

So maybe a Zon or Modulus would work too. . .

However, with non-EMG, soapbar-equipped basses, I found the sound to be totally unusable.

Other opinions?

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I thought they sounded like an Ampeg. Ampegs were, IMO, never designed to sound hi-fi. I think comparing it to a Clarus is like comparing a '53 Precision to a Fodera. Both sound awesome in the right situation but are completely different beasts.

My question about them is: are they loud enough for small/meduim gigs, and how will they hold up. My experience with Ampeg is that the QC is pretty poor.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm...That's too bad. I am pretty big on the idea of smaller / lighter gear.

I highly recommend Ampeg's B100-R for a portable / relatively light weight / small gig solution.

It sounds good through the basses I have tried. That includes a Jazz Standard, Deluxe, Precision, Steinberger Spirit, Rogue ABG.... It's sound is versatile, from huge bass, to very articulate and even sounding. And for a tweaterless 15, I think it has a pretty good slap tone too.

4. I figured they'd suck.

Jordan, if you want to go with small cabs, you could do a lot worse than the Eden CXM-110. It's not anywhere near as hi-fi as the Euphonic one, yeah, but it's got some real clarity to it.

5. . . . I'm not just bashing Ampeg. I have owned an Ampeg SVT-III (not the newer "Pro" model) and an SVP-Pro preamp, and finally figured out that I generally like a cleaner, more "SWR" type sound.

However, the Ampeg "Porta" rig didn't come close to the sound quality of the other Ampeg gear I've owned; I honestly think this was objectively true, and not just a matter of taste. When I chose SWR over Ampeg's SVP preamp, I knew that my choice was based on taste, but that the QUALITY of the units wasn't necessarily a factor.

6. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i recently tired their new portabass 10, with the portabass250 head, and i wasnt impressed either. i think it was mainly the fault of the cab however. im used to hearing large volume cabinets, and this one just sounded terribly boxy, and it didnt have a lot of low end presence. perhaps i ask too much of a single 10. i would still like to hear the head thru some different cabinets.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i recently tried the cabs, and they werent all that bad. nice "ampeg'y" sound. peaky highs with a crunchy midrange.

but i wasnt bowled over by their Portahead. I'd go with an EA iAMP350 anyday. i'd be curious to hear what an Eden WT400 would sound tho. prolly a great combo for anyone who wants light, and rockin'.