1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New mini practice rig of doom day - Thunder Bass and Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P-oddz, Jul 18, 2017.

1. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I just completed my mini practice rig of doom today. Well, maybe not so much doom, but at least it looks rad and it sounds really good for such an adorable little rig.

So... the Hotone Thunder Bass happened on my radar a couple weeks ago. It's a few years old, but in case you don't know what it is, it's a 5W practice/headphone amp by an unfortunately named company (is it Ho-tone, or Hot-One? Hot Tone? Yeah, naw), supposedly modeled after an SVT tone (you decide, I'll just say it's got some neat and usable tones in it), that can handle down to a 4 ohm speaker load. I scored a cheap one on Reverb mainly as a headphone/practice tool for when my baby girl is sleeping, and for that, it works really well. Shy of booting up the computer and modeling an amp in GarageBand, this is good way for me to get a fun-to-play-with tone at low levels.

But the more I got thinking, the idea of a little practice rig seemed enticing. On a whim I go to my local Music-Go-Round and see a pair of Ashdown Mini-Rig 10's from a few years back. At $30 bucks a speaker it was hard to pass up. I thought, I'll just get one. A few days later, the nagging was too much so I returned and they still had the second one. Both cabs are 16ohm with only one input tap each. The Thunder Bass only has a single speaker out, so after installing a second input in to one of the cabs so I can daisy chain them, I've completed my mini practice rig of doom.

Just thought I'd share:

B.JPG

A.JPG

2. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    That's so cool.

Understandable. I'd be lucky to be able to get the leads to connect them for under $30 here in Oz.

SpanishDave and P-oddz like this.
  3. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks!
    I was just jamming on it a little bit before work this morning. It's a super fun little amp!
    I love the design of the Ashdown cabs too. It really does look like a mini, full stack!

4. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    Thats amazing. Does the Hot one, Ho Tone, Ho To Ne(?) get any where need loud enough to practice with other musicians?

P-oddz and javi_bassist like this.
  5. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    It would really depend heavily on your speaker configuration/efficiency and what you can realistically expect out of a 5 watt amplifier.

In the particular two-ten configuration above? I'd be able to play an acoustic gig.

However, it can handle down to a 4ohm load, so you could run an 8x10 cab from it if you wanted. I've run it into a 2x12 Ampeg or a 2x15 SUNN, and with those, I would be able to jam with a quieter rock outfit - assuming it wasn't competing with large guitar rigs. Of course the amp would be cranked, so if you are trying to consider clean headroom - forget about it.

SpanishDave likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021