Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Modulus Q4 arrived today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Jun 16, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Here we go again! :) Read on.

For the past two years I often browsed through the bass gallery on the Modulus web site.
    Every time I saw the picture of the blackstone Q4, I thought to myself, "I'd love to
    have a bass just like that". Last week the bass below became available. It, and two
    other Modulus basses, was "lost" in the storage room of a New Orleans music store. It
    was made in 2001 but had never left the case. I got a very good deal on it. ;)
    Now check this out! It is the exact same Blackstone Q4 that is featured on the
    Modulus web page.

[​IMG]

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    From www.modulusguitars.com

- Q4 in BlackStone with a 5A quilted maple top and EMG pickups and electronics

[​IMG]

3. Rreally diggin it.

Add a string, change the top to flame and make it blackstone burst and you got the exact bass I'm waiting on!!!:D

I'm tryin to put it in the back of my mind so the time passes alot faster. So please stop posting pics. ;) :p

4. That is stunning. You dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!

5. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    congrats man, that looks amazing. Those are a blast to play.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is the exact bass i would have bought had I not needed a place to live! Oh, thaat is nice. I would rather have the Barts, myself. I just think the warmth of the barts go well with the bright neck.

7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I actually got to "touch" that bass not long ago. I was down in N.O. for the day and stepped into a music store tucked in around a bunch of antique stores. It is a VERY nice bass!

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Congrats on your "stealth bass".... fantastic!! :eek:

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks,

It has an 18-volt 3-band EQ with sweepable mid control. I put on some elxir nanoweb strings and gave the bass a test drive. A totally different sound than my other basses and that's a good thing [variety]. The top end is not overly bright or harsh at all, even with the treble turned all the way up; and it remains clear and quiet with plenty of SNAP. The mids are everything you could ask for. The low end is tight and not as fat as some others. The overall sound is punchy and ultra modern.

10. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    That bass looks excellent, JR! My father has a Q5 and it sounds/plays like butter. Nice purchase :)

11. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder

JR.........

I thought you wanted a Modulus Q4 with Bartolini's? What happened? You finally broke down.

Very nice bass..top looks stunning!!

How the Hell do you "LOSE" 3 Modulus basses in a music store????????
    Didn't somebody realize " Hey..We have $5,000.00 in gear missing" Sounds a little strange.

:confused:

12. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Awesome bass, congrats, I just stepped into a Q5 with barts and the walnut top, I love theese basses.

13. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Q4s are hard to come by. The only way I was going to get one with all the options AND Barts was to order a new one and wait six months. The EMGs sound great with my choice of strings for this bass--Elixrs.

Maybe "lose" is the wrong choice of words but, hey, they got/had three of them. I called Modulus and they confirmed that the three basses were sent there.

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    wow!!

this ia a wonderful looking instrument!

congrats!

15. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    That is one sweet Bass. Here is a not so great pic of my 1990 Q4 EMG-DC, Flame Maple, Blue/Purple
    burst.[​IMG]

16. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    Awsome looking finish! Mine is not quite as subtle...[​IMG]

17. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    hey jr sweet bass i just sold the identicle bass but 5 string and pickuped up a q4 in blackstone with barts and i love it you are right though they are rare took me almost 6 months to find a used one but i finaly did and it wasa worth it

18. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Congrats...great score. I would buy another Mod Q in a heartbeat.

19. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I posted this in a separate thread but I also wanted to add to add it here:

Some players say that Modulus Quantum basses with EMG pups are harsh and bright. Yet many say the opposite. I got my Q4 yesterday and sound is more/equal to my liking than my other Bart-loaded Quantums. I did some reaserch and discovered that Modulus uses various EMG pups in the Quantum basses. The two most common ones are EMG-DC and EMG-CS.

Per EMGINC.COM:

EMG-DC: The DC dual coil features side-by-side coils that widen the magnetic aperture delivering a deep, full low end with slightly accentuated midrange

EMG-CS: The CS dual coil adds a steel bar positioned above the ceramic magnets. This combo gives full, broad response with added warmth, while retaining a crisp, defined high end.

EMG-P:The P style features two offset coils that give its sound more low end with brilliant highs

I pulled the pups in my bass and they are EMG-CS. They are the quick-disconnect type as well--just unplug and change, no soldering. Just for fun, I'm going to order an EMG-P pup for the neck position. This is a P-Bass pup in the same housing as the DC and CS models.

This might be old news to you Modulus Quantum diehards, but I just thought I'd share.

:meh:

20. Me want Modulus:)